Inflammation is a body process, in which various chemicals and WBC (white blood cells), protect the body against infections by harmful viruses and bacteria. So, inflammation can be beneficial, but it becomes a cause for worry, when in certain diseases the immune system of the body unsuitably triggers inflammation, even when there are no foreign substances present in the body. In order to prevent the occurrence of such a condition, many people around the world have started following anti-inflammatory diet.
There is a misconception, that anti-inflammatory diet, is aimed at weight loss. A side effect or rather a bonus of this diet plan is weight loss. There are many chronic diseases caused due to inflammation, for example, asthma, Crohn's disease, arthritis and heart diseases. It is widely acknowledged that a change in the diet plan helps in the prevention of such diseases. An anti-inflammation diet, which is similar to the GERD diet, helps reduce inflammation and provides the body with steady energy and lots of nutrients, thus restoring the body to its optimum health.
Listed below, are the important anti-inflammatory foods you should include in your diet plans and certain foodstuffs you should avoid.
- Try to eat only organically grown foodstuffs. At least for the first two weeks, stick to organic foods for maximum results.
- Avoid dairy products, fried foods, processed foods, alcohol, citrus fruits and red meat, when following an anti-inflammatory diet.
- Eat a lot of raw foods like fresh fruits to provide the body with essential fibers.
- If you want to use oil for cooking, stick to extra virgin olive oil.
- Eat 1 - 2 cups of cooked whole grains daily. Some of the whole grains allowed in this diet are brown rice, barley and millet.
- Try to eat a lot of steamed vegetables as eating steamed vegetables will help reduce the irritating matter present in the gut.
- Try to eat a variety of deep sea fish, like salmon, cod and tuna. To cook the fish either broil, steam, bake or poach it.
- Eat white meat, mainly chicken and avoid eating the skin. You can either broil, steam or bake the chicken.
- Eat a lot of nuts, but avoid peanuts, and eat as much variety of legumes, as you can. Legumes include kidney beans, soybeans, mung beans, split peas, lentils, aduki and azuki beans.
- No sugar or sweeteners are allowed, only small quantities of rice or maple syrup can be consumed.
- Drink plenty of water (around 3 liters), on a daily basis. Herbal tea is a good source of antioxidants, so drink 2 cups of herbal tea everyday.
- Try to eat dark chocolate, which contains around 70% of cocoa.
There are certain food items which help in the prevention of inflammation, and certain foods which cause inflammation. An anti-inflammatory diet is a healthy diet that ensures prevention of serious conditions. Here is a sample diet menu. Feel free to modify the menu. You can add your favorite dishes to the menu or remove the ones you don't like. However, keep in mind that the foods which you include in your menu are among anti-inflammatory foods.
|Oatmeal with dry fruits and green tea||Salad and chicken with steamed vegetables|
|Banana smoothie mixed with protein powder||Apple with spinach (whole grain) sandwich|
|Bowl of mixed fruits, with whole grain toast||Carrot salad with tuna (whole grain) sandwich|
|Baked beans on a whole grain toast||Salad, broiled halibut and two kiwis|
|Porridge topped with fresh fruits and green tea||Turkey Curry with brown rice|
|Whole grain toast with almond butter spread and grape juice||Mix vegetable (whole grain) sandwich|
|A small bowl of peaches||Rice with steamed beans|
|Cashews and green tea||A small salad and baked salmon fish|
|Pink grapefruit||Soybean and grilled shrimp|
|Mixed nuts (walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts) with chamomile tea||Brown rice with stir fried vegetables and tofu|
|Fresh mango juice||Baked sweet potatoes, mix-veg soup and rice|
|Small bowl of papaya||Grilled chicken with brown rice|
To get the maximum benefits of this diet, indulge in some sort of physical activity for at least 45 minutes daily, and get enough sleep.