Potato, the tuberous crop belonging to the Solanaceae family, was first discovered in Peru. The botanical name for potato is Solanum tuberosum. Many people don't know about the health benefits of potatoes and so for them, the word 'potato' comes with a blaring siren of "CALORIES"! So, before the thought of calories in a baked potato can add to your already existing blue quotient, let me provide some useful information about the nutrients found in potatoes.
It is difficult to state the exact number of calories in baked potatoes; because they may be served with butter and cheese, with margarine, or with sour cream and butter. All these dishes are loved by people of all ages. In all such dishes, quantity of ingredients may vary according to the demand. Sour cream, butter, margarine, cheese, or anything else might add several hundred more calories to the dish. If you are conscious about your weight, you can always buy and consume low-fat versions of cheese, butter, etc.
Baked Potato Calories
|Baked Potato||Quantity Served||Calories|
|Flesh and Skin (Without Salt)||1 Large, 3 - 4 ¼ inches diameter (300 g)||280|
|Flesh (Without Salt)||½ Cup (60 g)||55|
|One small||About 2 inches in diameter||130|
|One medium||About 2.5 - 3.0 inches in diameter||160|
|One large||About 3 inches in diameter||225|
|Dressed with Butter and Sour Cream (Outback Steakhouse)||1 serving||455|
|Dressed with Cheese (Outback Steakhouse)||1 serving||357|
The numbers provided in the table are to be considered as guidelines only, because the numbers may vary according to the method of preparation, amount served, number and quantity of ingredients present in the dish, etc.
Potato is really a 'gift of nature' as it is one of the world's most nutrient-dense foods.
- Potatoes are low in fat or virtually fat-free.
- They are packed with vitamins and minerals and are absolutely free of cholesterol.
- When served in their skins, they are a great source of fiber.
- Potassium from potatoes helps control blood pressure.
- Magnesium, zinc and copper help build strong bones and teeth.
- Iron and folic acid help improve the quality of blood.
- Vitamins B1 and B6 help release energy from carbohydrates and help maintain the health of the nervous system.
- Potatoes are rich in carbohydrates, which act as fuel for the brain and the body. Carbohydrates are the main source of energy.
- Baked potato in its skin contains more fiber than two slices of wholemeal bread. Fiber helps improve digestive system function.
Potatoes are included in the diet designed for babies as well as adults. They are served to the healthy and the sick, in all corners of the world. Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, potato chips, French fries are the favorite dishes of all generations.
Dietitians may ask you to incorporate potatoes in your regular diet as they are good for overall health. It is safe to conclude that instead of worrying about baked potato calories, it would be better if you include them with skin in your regular diet, in proper proportion. If you use low-fat food for garnishing, then calories from baked potatoes should not be a cause of concern.