A healthy diet should be a right mix of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, etc. The two main parts of the diet are the proteins and the carbohydrates. We are aware that the lean proteins are the healthier option. Similarly in case of carbohydrates, there are two options one can choose from, namely the simple carbohydrates and the complex carbohydrates.
Cutting down on simple carbohydrates and increasing consumption of complex carbohydrates is recommended, when one wants to lose weight and to keep various diseases at bay. Although we may be aware about this, we often scrounge for complex carbohydrate recipes, so that we can bring about a variety in your palate. There are many simple recipes, that we can opt for so that we are not bored of eating similar food everyday.
Healthy Complex Carbohydrate Recipe for Breakfast
It often happens that when we decide to stay on healthy diet, we are at loss of right recipes, more so the breakfast recipe. This is my personal favorite recipe and you will see me having this very often.
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup skimmed milk
- 1 diced apple
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a dash of nutmeg
- water as required
- In a saucepan combine 1 cup water with apple juice and diced apples.
- Bring the water and juice mixture to a boil and then add rolled oats to the mixture.
- Let the oats cook over low heat, till the mixture thickens, but do not cover the oats.
- If you feel that the oats are sticking to the saucepan, you may add a couple of tablespoons of water to it.
- Add milk, cinnamon and nutmeg to the oats and let it cook till the oatmeal reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve warm with fruits.
Healthy Salad Recipe
Whenever I can have my way, I prefer eating only salads for my meals. However, I ensure my salads are rich in complex carbohydrates, so that I do not end up binging again after some time. Making salad using the complex carbohydrates list is a rather easy task, only the list of ingredients is long. This ensures I have different types of salad and I am not bored of eating them.
- ¼ cup Brussels sprouts
- ½ chopped beetroot
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup salad greens
- 1 potato baked or boiled with skin
- ¼ cup boiled beans (you can opt for any beans of your choice)
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 1 chopped cucumber
- 1 chopped small onion
- 1 chopped tomato
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 - 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, mix olive oil, vinegar, thyme, kosher salt, table salt and pepper together.
- Stir till salt is well dissolved into the mixture.
- Then add the remaining ingredients to the mixture and your salad is ready to be savored.
- You may increase the quantity of olive oil, vinegar and salt, if you feel the need for the same.
Healthy Pasta Recipe
This is one of the recipes with high quantity of complex carbohydrates in it. It makes for a perfect dinner recipe. Since it does not take very long to make this recipe, you can also make it once you are back from work.
- 2 pieces boneless chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 cup wheat pasta of your choice
- 1 ½ lb fresh spinach
- 4 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 - 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper as per taste
- In a pot, cook pasta with half teaspoon of olive oil till al dente.
- Then add chopped spinach to the pasta and cook it till the spinach wilts.
- In another pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and once it is hot, add chicken breast to it. Let the chicken pieces cook, till they are browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Drain the pasta and spinach mixture of the water, but do reserve some of the water.
- In a mixing bowl, add cooked chicken pieces, cooked pasta and spinach, minced garlic, Parmesan cheese, remaining olive, salt and pepper. Toss all the ingredients with necessary quantity of water well and serve.
These are some of the basic recipes, which are rich in complex carbohydrates. There are a number of other recipes, that you can come up with using different complex carbohydrates. You can also make soup with a number of complex carbohydrates as well.