Cumin finds its origin in Egypt. It is one of the most popular spices in Indian subcontinent, Middle East, and Mexico. In addition to its culinary use, it is known for its nutritional and health benefits, which are quite large in number. If you are not used to using cumin as food constituent and are wondering how to benefit from cumin seeds, you may try drinking cumin tea. It is very easy and quick to make.
Cumin Tea Recipe
Take one teaspoon of cumin seeds and one cup of filtered water in a container. Heat the mixture till the water starts boiling. Reduce the heat, and allow simmering for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover the container for ten minutes. Now, the cumin tea is ready for drinking. You can add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of coriander leaf juice to enhance the taste. To reap the health benefits of cumin, drink cumin tea a couple of times a day.
Health Benefits of Cumin Tea
- Cumin tea is a great expectorant, i.e. it promotes the process of coughing and spitting out. Thus, it helps get rid of phlegm from throat and lungs.
- Due to its antiseptic properties, it assists in the overall cure of various respiratory system disorders like sinusitis, pneumonia, bronchitis, common cold, asthma, etc.
- Cumin tea is considered to be one of the best home remedies for acute abdominal pain or colic, especially in infants.
- Midwives in Latino cultures used cumin tea to induce labor. Only one cup a day is recommendable for labor induction. The tea can be used to start menstruation as well.
- Another therapeutic cumin tea benefit is that it helps reduce the symptoms of urinary tract infection. It especially helps reduce the burning sensation.
- The tea can help stabilize blood sugar levels. It may improve glycemic control in people with type 2 diabetes. However, diabetics should monitor their blood sugar carefully, after taking the tea. Some people might experience low blood sugar levels.
- Cumin seeds are rich in iron. Therefore, the tea provides a great help in the treatment of anemia. Iron is essential for energy as well as strong immune system.
- Cumin tea acts as a revitalizing agent as it helps relieve stress. It eases the condition of tiredness and fatigue. It has also been found to enhance memory.
- It provides relief from flatulence, nausea, diarrhea, morning sickness, indigestion, bowel spasms, acidity, heartburn, and fluid retention. As it carries diuretic properties, it increases urine flow and relieves bloating.
- Being a natural laxative, cumin helps relieve the symptoms of constipation. The tea can be used to lessen the symptoms of piles.
- As cumin exhibits aphrodisiac properties, the tea can help increase sexual desire.
- One of the major health benefits of cumin tea is that it helps alleviate the symptoms of insomnia and other sleeping disorders (stress, tiredness often lead to insomnia).
- If you are a frequent sufferer of hiccups, cumin tea may prove to be of some help to you.
- The tea helps in curing sore throat. You may add 1-2 drops of ginger juice to it, to enhance its effects.
- It detoxifies your body. You may add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the tea to increase its nutritional value.The tea can act as a herbal cleanser for kidney and bladder. It can purify blood, and can prevent acne, eczema, etc.
- Another cumin tea benefit is that it acts as an ointment to treat boils and wounds.
- You can use cumin as a mouth freshener. Chewing roasted cumin seeds or drinking cumin tea regularly reduces excessive saliva production and heals mouth sores.
- Though not scientifically proven, it is believed that cumin tea made from black cumin seeds helps alleviate the symptoms of arthritis and asthma.
- It is believed that cumin seeds have anti-carcinogenic properties. Thymol and phosphorus in cumin seeds can boost the power of the liver, and can enhance the detoxification process. Cumin tea can help prevent development of stomach and liver tumors.
- The tea is believed to increase the rate of metabolism. Hence, you get some advantages associated with fast metabolism, such as weight loss and good digestion. It also boosts excretion of wastes from the body.
- Studies show that cumin stimulates the secretion of pancreatic enzymes. So, the tea promotes digestion.
Apart from treating ailments, cumin tea benefits you in several other ways as well. It improves the absorption of nutrients in the body, and maintains your overall wellness and physical fitness. Cumin tea makes a great tonic for the body, and you can consume it even if you don't have a specific ailment to cure. Regular intake of cumin tea or cumin seeds strengthens your immune system. Therefore, next time you see cumin seeds in the market, buy a few grams, and make it a part of your regular diet. The only result will be a healthier and stronger you!
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.