The genesis of Daniel fast stems from the time when Judah was captured by Babylonians and Nebuchadnezzarians. During this conquest Daniel and his three friends were extradited to Babylon, where they were put into servant court room for a training program.
Since the Babylonian customs didn't resemble Mosaic ones, Daniel refused to eat meat to honor his relationship with God. His refusal to eat meat during the meals set the tradition of this fast.
The practice and procedures of fasting may vary, but the rule of abstaining from meats remains the same in every Daniel fast menu. The strictest kind of fast is eating fruits only. However, some eat vegetables as well. Consuming any kind of animal products or fermented beverages are a complete no-no in this fast.
Menu for the Fast
Some Fast Recipes
- 1 packet of whole wheat pizza dough
- Mariana sauce, ½ cup
- Non-sticky spray
- Soy cheese, shredded
- Pizza pan
- Diced carrots, mushrooms, bell peppers, corns, tomatoes, spinach and olives for the toppings
- Preheat the oven at 450 degrees F. This will take about 20-25 minutes.
- Saute your veggies in the sauce, leaving aside the toppings.
- Slightly knead the dough, roll on to a board and cut it in an exact circle.
- Spray the non-sticky spray on the pan and place the cut piece of dough on it.
- Even and generously spread the cheese on it and then layer it with the sauteed vegetables.
- Add the toppings and then one more layer of cheese.
- Bake it for about 10 minutes and serve it hot.
- 1 drained can of beans
- 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup of olives
- 1 sliced cup of tomatoes
- 3 cups of brown rice
- 7 cups of vegetable stock water
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup of thinly sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup of asparagus
- ¼ cup of zucchini
- Saute the vegetables and rice with a tablespoon of olive oil. Keep stirring them till the onion gets translucent and the rice is covered with oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to boil. Cover it with a lid and let it simmer for 40 minutes on low heat.
- As brown rice takes little longer than white rice to cook, let it simmer till the water is completely absorbed.
- 1 cup thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups of any whole wheat pasta that you like
- ½ cup of chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Add pasta to a large pot of water, add a teaspoon of oil and some salt. Now bring it to boil till the pasta is cooked. You will know it's cooked when it turns soft.
- Meanwhile, saute the vegetables in olive oil till the onions turn translucent. You can add any pasta sauce to spice up the taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the veggies, toss it and garnish it with oregano or coriander.
21 day Daniel fast meal plan can be made interesting even though it is totally vegetarian. Spices and condiments will make all the difference to just plain boiled food. Experimenting with vegetarian curries made out of coconut milk and a range of other pasta sauces will help you with some appetizing ideas.
Following this fast for 21 days in a year cleanses your system as well. In more ways than one, Daniel fast tackles the eternal obesity and dietary concerns. Hope these guidelines help you through the holy month quickly!