Elderberries are obtained from the elder tree, also known as Sambucus Nigra. They are dark purple colored berries, native to Europe, North America, Asia, and England. These berries are popular medicinal herbs and were used in folk medicines and remedies. Their benefits are now being rediscovered by researchers who claim that elderberry juice is very beneficial in the prevention and cure of a number of ailments and diseases. It was also used as an ingredient while making wines and pies. Its benefits are not limited to just medicinal uses, but it also has many benefits when used for cosmetic and culinary purposes.
Elderberry Juice Constituents
The innumerable health benefits of elderberry juice can be attributed to the various essential nutrients that it contains. It contains large amounts of vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B, amino acids, flavonoids, tannin, rutin and carotenoids. Other nutrients include organic pigments, sugar, viburnic acid, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, and antioxidants known as anthocyanins and quercetin.
Benefits of Elderberry Juice
- The most important benefit of elderberry juice is its ability to prevent and cure illnesses related to the respiratory system like asthma, bronchitis, common cold, sore throat, cough and flu or influenza. It reduces mucus secretions and inflammation of the sinus and mucous membranes, and helps drain the sinus of mucus, thereby reducing nasal congestion caused due to sinusitis.
- It has proved to be extremely effective in the treatment and cure of flu and was also used to treat people suffering from flu during an epidemic in Panama in 1995. It contains sambucus nigra agglutinins that protects healthy cells in the body from being infected by flu.
- The large amount of vitamins, especially vitamin C, that it contains makes it very beneficial in the treatment of ailments caused due to viral and bacterial infections.
- Another very important benefit is its ability to prevent and treat cancer, a fact attributed to the antioxidants that it contains. It contains bioflavonoids that are known to be the most effective antioxidants for the prevention of human cell damage.
- It boosts the immune system, which can be quite helpful in treating diseases like AIDS and cancer.
- It is known to lower cholesterol levels and reduce bad cholesterol. This can be highly beneficial in preventing the various heart related disorders.
- Using the juice for culinary purpose helps improve and maintain a healthy digestive system.
- The harmful effects of environmental pollution, stress, and unhealthy eating can be prevented and reduced by the daily consumption of the juice.
- Elderberry juice concentrate benefits include prevention and cure of diabetes, protection against viral infections, and chest congestion. It has anti-viral, anti-histamine and anti-oxidant properties and its daily consumption can be very beneficial for overall well-being.
- Consuming it also helps prevent and cure hemorrhoids, constipation, and diarrhea. It also improves heart and kidney health, improves vision, cures yeast infections, and urinary tract infections.
- Consumption of elderberry juice on a regular basis helps clear complexion of blemishes and dark spots. It can delay the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines and helps reduce acne breakouts.
To enjoy the above mentioned benefits, you can consume restricted amounts of the juice on a daily basis. For daily maintenance you can have two teaspoons of juice per day. However, in case you have flu the intake of this juice is increased. During flu, adults can have one tablespoon, four times a day. For children, the dosage during flu is one tablespoon two times a day.
For elderberry juice concentrate or syrup, two teaspoons of the concentrate or syrup can be consumed along with a glass of water everyday. Elderberry extract can also be used as a topping for donuts, pies and cakes. However, excessive consumption should be restricted to avoid potential side effects like diarrhea and vomiting.
To gain these benefits, make sure you stick to the recommended dosage. Also, if you have a medical condition, then it is important to consult a doctor before you start taking this juice. The doctor will also be able to recommend the required daily dosage suitable for you. In case you experience any side effects, discontinue its use immediately.