There is quite a rage on about the fish and water diet amongst people who want to lose weight in a flash. Read the following article to learn more…
There is no dearth of fad diets that promise you quick weight loss with the least amount of effort. One such well-hyped weight loss diet is the ‘fish and water diet’. This diet is known by various other names like the 3 day diet, 3 day tuna diet, tuna and water diet, etc. As the name suggests, the dieter is expected to eat fish (precisely tuna) and very few other foods during this diet. This is a very low calorie diet, which is required to be followed for only three days, in order to experience rapid weight loss. No matter how insane it may sound, the fish with water diet has taken the world in its stride, with numerous weight loss aspirants religiously following each and every detail of this fad diet.
If you are one of such people who are interested in learning more about this diet, then this article is a must read for you. In the following section of the article, we will find out details of this weight loss diet plan and its reviews. So, let’s get started!
Fish and Water Diet Plan
As mentioned earlier, this is a 3-day diet plan. It means that the dieter needs to follow it only for three consecutive days. This diet is also referred as a jumpstart diet, and is followed by dieters who need to lose weight for some upcoming big event, or those who have less time on hand, as they get excellent results with this diet. Once the dieter has completed the 3 day diet, he/she is advised to have a low calorie diet, so there won’t be a rapid gain in weight. Moreover, people who want to lose even more weight need to take a four-day break, before they resume with the same diet plan. Here is the diet plan for the 3 day tuna and water diet.
- Breakfast: 1 cup of black coffee/tea/water (without sugar) + ½ cup of grapefruit/pink grapefruit juice + 1 slice of toast + 1-2 tbsp of peanut butter
- Lunch: 1 cup of black coffee/tea/water (without sugar) + ½ cup of water packed (canned) tuna + 1 slice of dry toast
- Dinner: 1 cup of black coffee/tea/water (no sugar) + 3 oz of tuna + 1 cup of green beans + 1 cup of beets + 1 small apple + 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- Breakfast: 1 cup of black coffee/tea/water (without sugar) + 1 egg + ½ or 1 banana + 1 slice of dry toast
- Lunch: 1 cup of black coffee/tea/water (without sugar) + ½ cup of tuna + 1 slice of dry toast
- Dinner: 3 oz of tuna or lean chicken + ½ cup of carrots + 1 cup of cabbage + 1 banana + ½ cup of vanilla ice cream
- Breakfast: 1 cup of black coffee/tea/water (without sugar) + 1 egg + 1 slice of cheddar cheese + 5 saltine crackers + 4 oz of apple juice
- Lunch: 1 cup of black coffee/tea/water (without sugar) + 1 hard-boiled egg/1 cup of tuna + 1 slice of dry toast + 1 small apple
- Dinner: 3 oz of tuna or 2 beef franks + 1 cup of cauliflower + 1 cup of beets + 1 cup of cantaloupe + ½ cup of vanilla ice cream
As you can see from the diet plan itself, the tuna and water diet is extremely restrictive. It doesn’t allow the dieter to have any mid meal snacks. Although the diet promises to provide various nutrients like protein, carbohydrate, fiber and water, the biggest disadvantage is that it lacks the energy (calories) that a person needs to sustain for an entire day. A low calorie and low carbohydrate diet forces ketone production in the system, which causes ketosis. In this process, the body system burns fats instead of calories and hence, you lose weight. However, along with fats, the body also loses higher amount of water as well as sodium.
The lack of nutrition and state of consuming less than 1000 calories a day causes a number of health complications like lack of appetite, stomach cramps, fatigue, dizziness, weakness throughout the dieting phase, and sudden fall in the blood glucose levels. But most importantly, the weight loss effects that the dieter attains with this sort of fad diets are only temporary, and causes weight gain as soon as the dieter resumes a regular diet.
As a result, no matter how appealing the fish and water diet may seem, one should not fall into the trap at the cost of their own health and well-being. It is also important for you to consult your health care provider, before following any such fad diet that may have long term side effects on your health. Take care.