A full liquid diet is prescribed for special medical conditions and those who want to lose weight. No matter what the purpose is, a liquid diet requires special attention for its correct implementation.
Liquid diets is one of the best types of diet for the people who are suffering with medical conditions like digestive system disorders and stomach diseases. These diets are also prescribed to the people who are undergoing surgeries or are in the recovery stage of jaw surgery, bariatric surgery. It is also useful for those under the medical treatments which are used for treating digestive disorders. Following a liquid diet plan is also the latest trend amongst people who want to lose a large amount of weight. There are various types of liquid diet, like clear liquid diet, full liquid diet and soft diet. When on a full liquid diet, the person is required to consume various healthy liquid food sources, which is the basic principle of clear liquid diet too. The only thing that separates full and clear liquid diet, is the inclusion of milk and small amount of fibers in the diet. If you are prescribed with this type of diet or if you wish to follow it in order to lose weight, then the following article will definitely prove to be extremely helpful.
Full Liquid Diet Ideas
Liquid diet is a hydrating diet that quicken recovery from surgeries and various illnesses. It also increases the rate of metabolism and clearing of the intestines which promotes healthy weight loss. However, it is important to understand that full liquid foods should be consumed on a short term basis. It is also the reason why this diet is prescribed as a transitional phase between clear liquid diet and soft diets. As a small change, this diet contains thin cereal, cream soups in strained form, milk and milkshake, puddings, and custards. You can also include pulps, nectars and juices of various fruits and vegetables. It is also important to remember that this diet is not suitable for people who are suffering with lactose intolerance or have low tolerance level for thin liquids. Some researchers also claim that some of the liquid diet foods are inadvisable for the patients who are in postoperative stage. While they also claim that people who have jaw injuries and problems in chewing, find much relief in clear liquid foods and dysphagia diets.
Full Liquid Diet Foods List
|Food Group||Foods to Avoid||Foods to Include|
|Beverages||All other beverages that are not mentioned in the allowed foods section||Clear foods, carbonated and non-carbonated beverages and fruit juices, tea, coffee, coffee substitute, milk, liquid milk products and milk drinks, nectars, vegetable juices, infant formulas, liquid dietary supplements|
|Cereals||Whole grain cereals and all other cereals that are not strained||Cream of wheat and rice, strained oatmeal, thinned grits|
|Desserts||Desserts like ice cream, puddings, gelatin, yogurt and sherbets made with nuts, seeds and fruits. Any desserts that are not mentioned in the allowed foods section||Plain ice cream, custard, plain pudding, gelatin, plain sherbet, yogurt (without seeds if it is flavored)|
|Eggs||Fresh raw eggs and all the other eggs that are not mentioned in the allowed section||Frozen eggs, eggnog mixes and soft cooked custards. All eggs should be pasteurized|
|Fruits||Dry fruits, fruit sources that are not mentioned in the allowed foods section||Any and all fruit juices without seeds. Nectars and strained fruit juices|
|Soups||All other soups that are not mentioned in the allowed foods section||Broths, stocks, bouillons, cream soups, canned soups and all the soups that are made of allowed foods|
|Meats||All the other meat sources that are not mentioned in the allowed foods list||Pureed meats, meat broths, meat stocks, chicken stocks, thinned with milk|
|Vegetables||All vegetables in unpeeled and raw forms and those are not listed in the allowed foods section||Asparagus, beets, carrots, green beans, wax beans, peas, spinach, pumpkin, squash, tomato juice, cooked, pureed, thinned with broth or milk|
|Miscellaneous||All the other foods that are not mentioned on the allowed foods list||Salt, candies, chocolates, sugar, mild seasonings|
Full Liquid Diet Plan
Diet Plan #1
- Breakfast: ½ cup orange juice + ½ cup cooked cream of wheat. 8 oz of whole milk + hot beverage
- Morning Snack: 1 pureed banana or other seedless fruit
- Lunch: 6 ounces soup, chicken broth + 8 ounces eggnog + ½ cup fruit-flavored gelatin dessert + hot beverage
- Evening Snack: 2 cups of plain custard
- Dinner: 6 oz of vegetable broth + ½ cup apple juice + ½ cup ice cream + no calorie beverage
Diet Plan #2
- Breakfast: 1 cup fruit juice + ½ cup cooked, plain cereal + 8 oz eggnog + 8 oz whole milk + hot tea with sugar and lemon juice
- Lunch: ¾ cup of strained creamed soup + 1 cup of juice + ½ cup of low fat ice cream + ½ cup custard + 8 oz whole milk + hot tea with sugar and lemon juice + salt and pepper
- Dinner: ¾ cup of strained creamed soup + 1 cup of juice + ½ cup of low fat ice cream + ½ cup plain pudding + 8 oz whole milk + hot tea with sugar and lemon juice + salt and pepper
Diet Plan #3
- Breakfast: ½ cup of fruit juice + ½ cup of thin grits or cooked cereal + ½ cup of lime gelatin + 1 cup of tea or coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Lunch: ½ cup of fruit juice + 1 cup of chicken soup + ½ cup of lemon pudding + 1 cup of tea or coffee with 1 cup of whole milk and 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Dinner: ½ cup of tomato juice + 1 cup of strained cream of vegetable + ½ cup of vanilla ice cream + 1 cup of whole milk + 1 cup of tea or coffee with a teaspoon of sugar
Well, as I said earlier, this diet is a healthy but transitional diet, and hence, there are a few precautions that you may need to take. If you are prescribed with this diet, then you need to follow it only for the time span for which it is prescribed. If you are following this diet plan for weight loss, then you may need to combine it with prescribed multivitamin supplements. All in all, any such diets are needed to be followed with proper medical intervention.