According to United States Department of Agriculture, 1 cup of garbanzo beans has 728 calories. Keep reading to get detailed information about its nutritional facts and health benefits.
The garbanzo bean is one of the most famous members of the legume family. It is also called chickpeas, Indian peas or Bengal gram and is very widely used all over the world. They are most commonly found in the Mediterranean, West Asian and Middle Eastern regions. Apart from these regions, they are also used in Central and Latin America. They have cream colored flesh and are round in shape with a pointed tip on top. They can be found in black, cream, red and green colors. They vary in size. Garbanzo beans, like other legumes, are rich in protein and other nutritional content. Talking about garbanzo beans calories, it is quite high. In this article we are going to discuss the calories found in chickpeas or garbanzo beans and its other nutritional facts.
Calories in Garbanzo Beans
Garbanzo beans have a high calorific value. People who are on a weight loss diet usually think of a low calorie diet. But garbanzo beans apart from having high calorific value have an excellent amount of fiber, protein and minerals. They are very low in fat content and hence can be included in the diet. Researches show that legumes can help you lose weight in spite of the fact that they are high in calories. You can get them fresh, canned or dried. Dried beans can be stored for a very long time and just require a good soak so that they soften a bit before cooking. Canned beans are a bit higher in calories than the fresh or dried beans. According to United States Department of Agriculture, garbanzo beans consist of a considerably higher amount of calories which is shown in the table given below.
|Garbanzo Beans (1cup)||Calories|
Chickpeas nutrition itself reveal the health benefits of garbanzo beans. Some of the health benefits have been listed below.
- Garbanzo beans have a low cholesterol content which makes it helpful in reducing the risk of heart attacks. They reduce the cholesterol of the body and hence it is helpful in preventing many heart diseases.
- They have high fiber content which helps the body to maintain the blood sugar level.
- High mineral content increases the energy content of the body. Minerals like magnesium and iron help in improving the blood quality and maintains proper blood flow.
- They are good for pregnant women as they are high in iron and protein. Protein helps in energy production in the body. Even one cup of garbanzo beans can give you one quarter of your daily protein need.
- Its fiber content improves the bowel movement and other problems related to digestive health.
- Potassium and sodium content of the beans help in maintaining the pH level of the body. People who have high sodium levels in their body should use garbanzo beans without adding salt.
Now that you know about the calories and other nutrient facts of garbanzo beans, you can include this healthy food in your daily diet. You can take it in the form of salad, or you can cook it according to your own personal recipe. It will not only add taste to your food but will also benefit your health.