Did you know that fresh grapes contain nearly 80% water by weight? This makes them one of the best low-calorie fruits and snacks.Hundreds of medical studies have established the fact that consuming grapes in our diet has several health benefits. Grapes are a storehouse of phytonutrients called polyphenols that include flavonoids, phenolic acids, and resveratrol. These three polyphenols constitute a major part of grape skin, stem and seeds. Products manufactured from grapes are also very beneficial for human health.
Nutritional Facts about Grapes
Like most berries, nutritious value of grapes is very high. No matter you enjoy these fruits as fruit salad with peach, pear or apricot; or you eat them in the form of raisin and currants, grapes are ideal fruits for the young and the old, alike. Some important nutrition facts about grapes are as follows.
- Important vitamins such as vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and C6 are found in grapes.
- Grapes also contain acids such as tartaric acids, malic acids, succinic, fumaric, glyceric, p-coumaric and caffeic acids.
- Beta-carotene, lycopene, ellagic acid, resveratrol and other sulfur compounds are found in grape skins.
- Grapes have important antioxidants such as anthocyanins, flavones, geraniol, linalol, nerol and tannins.
- Grapes contain all the necessary minerals such as calcium, chlorine, copper, fluorine, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, silicon and sulfur.
- Potassium and sodium are important stimulators for the nervous system. Grape juice provides us with these necessary minerals.
- Phosphorus helps in the formation of genes, as it is a part of nucleic acids; grapes are a good source of phosphorus.
- Magnesium, that helps in muscle contraction, is also found in grapes.
- Grapes are one of those rare fruits that are completely cholesterol free. The most amazing fact about grapes is that it's quite a low calorie fruit - a cup of grape juice (about 92g) contains only 62g of calories and no cholesterol.
- Grapes have small amounts of protein and dietary fibers that facilitates quick digestion.
- Grapes contain vitamin K and vitamin E which helps in blood clotting and so grapes can be called anti-coagulants.
- The antioxidants such as anthocyanins, flavones, geraniol, linalol, nerol and tannins are the ones responsible for protecting the body against cancer.
- Vitamin B helps in controlling metabolism rates and grapes are the best source for it.
- Folate found in grapes is important during the pregnancy period.
- Red grapes contain a compound called resveratrol, which helps control cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart attacks. In wines, we have resveratrol which has been found to control heart attacks. It is, hence, said that controlled consumption of red wine is good for your heart.
- The dry forms of grapes contain large amounts of boron which is necessary for bones. It also helps fight tooth and gum decay.
- Vitamin A together with flavonol compounds helps fight night blindness and other eye related problems.
- Grape juice reduces fever. It also helps in fighting fatigue and provides energy to the body.
- Acne and skin related problems are cured or decreased with grape juice consumption as it contains vitamin C.
- Rheumatism, gout, asthma, etc., can be controlled and relieved using grapes, as they contain anti-inflammatory agents.
- Grapes act as a good cleanser, thereby eliminating kidney stones and improving the flow of bile and urine.
- It's also effective in curing problems related to migraine and headache.
- Its abundance in minerals helps to detoxify the liver and strengthens the digestive system.
- The risk of atherosclerosis is lessened by including grapes in our diet.
- Grapes increase the moisture in the lungs and help in subduing asthma.
- A form of true berries, Concorde grape juice helps shrink mammary tumors
- Resveratrol, an important constituent of red wines, helps in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Grapes help fight neurodegenerative diseases.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is just for informational purpose only. Individuals, especially those suffering from chronic diseases like diabetes must seek proper consultation with their doctor before including grapes in their diet. There is no hard and fast rule that if you are eating grapes in your diet, you will get rid of diseases or be safe from cancer! The fact is that grapes are extremely nutritious fruits and they do help us to stay healthy, in the long run.