Also known as the 'queen of fruits', grapes are small round berries, which grow in clusters on woody vines. They belong to the category of Vitus vinifera. As you know, they can either be eaten raw, or they can also be made into jams and jellies, or maybe juices or wine. Grapes can also be dried and used as raisins, which can be utilized to make cakes or some other dry fruit toppings. These fruits are mainly grown in the Mediterranean region and in Central Asia. They can be of various colors such as red, green, black, golden, purple, etc. This article focuses on the green variety of grapes.
Green grapes are a rich source of nutrients that help us in various ways. Provided below are some health benefits, knowing which you will realize the true importance of these tiny fruits.
- Usually, most of the grapes that we eat are seedless. But the seeds contain an edible oil, which strengthens the walls of our capillaries. It also helps to reduce the formation of blood clots in our body.
- Grapes contain phytonutrients, which are responsible for many health benefits. For example, polyphenol is an antioxidant that protects us against colon and prostate cancer, coronary heart diseases, degenerative nerve diseases, Alzheimer, or any sort of fungal or viral infections.
- Catechins are a type of flavonoid that are found in these fruits. They too have various health benefits, like prevention of bladder cancer, breast cancer, leukemia, and prostate cancer.
- The resveratrol that is present in grapes keeps the heart muscles strong and healthy. They provide a hormone called the angiotensin II, which is secreted in conditions like high blood pressure and heart failure.
- The grapes have another antioxidant called pterostilbene, which prevents cancer, and at the same time, also helps in lowering the cholesterol level in our body.
- Women should eat more grapes, as the antioxidant called polyphenol lowers the chances of heart diseases.
- Wine is made from grapes, and it helps in reducing hypertension. If you are one of those who is suffering from high blood pressure, then one glass of wine with your dinner will be beneficial.
- These fruits are a rich source of micro-nutrients such as copper, manganese, and iron.
- Grapes are also rich in vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, carotene, and vitamin B-complex like pyridoxine, riboflavin, and thiamine.
- Anthocyanins is another antioxidant, which has anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory qualities. It also prevents any microbe related diseases and cancer.
- People who do not want to age fast, or those who want a longer life span, should eat grapes as the resveratrol present in them acts as an anti-aging agent.
- If you are planning to lose weight fast, then along with your diet, you should eat some grapes.
- The calorie content of these fruits is very low: 100 gm of grapes contains 69 only kcal.
- Grapes are also good cleansers, and hence, they reduce the chances of kidney stones as the flow of bile and urine takes place effectively.
- These fruits also increase the moisture in lungs, which in turn helps in the prevention of asthma.
- The magnesium content in grapes helps in muscle contraction.
|Nutrients||Nutrient Value (per 100 gm)|
|Vitamin B1||0.08 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.10 mg|
|Vitamin C||10.8 mg|
|Vitamin K||14.6 mcg|
Thus, instead of letting your family gorge on those harmful junk foods, stock your refrigerator with these useful and healthy fruits, so that you can live a healthy and long life.