Honey and cinnamon have been used as a cure since ancient times, and has been broadly mentioned in the oriental and Ayurvedic medicinal scripts. Cinnamon is one of the oldest spice known, and honey, even older than it. Unique healing abilities of them have a long history as a home remedy for many ailments.
Cinnamon's oil and honey's enzyme produces hydrogen peroxide, an anti-microbial. This antimicrobial quality has the ability to stop the growth of harmful bacteria and fungi. Cinnamon is taken in powder or oil form, mixed with honey. It has been used for many years with claims of being a successful natural cure for many diseases, and has many health benefits.
Benefits of Honey and Cinnamon
Arthritis: A paste made from one part honey and two parts cinnamon powder paste, massaged on the arthritis inflicted part of the body is known to provide pain relief. A recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University with some 70 patients found the use of this paste very useful in reliving pain.
Weight Loss: Drinking honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup water in the morning regularly does not allow fat to accumulate in the body. It is known to help reduce weight and is considered as a safe method of losing weight by many dietitians. This combination is an integral part of many diets.
Fatigue: The iron and natural sugar content in honey is very high, and is known to aid in strengthening the body. Iron helps increase the hemoglobin level in the blood, and as its sugar is natural, it does not harm the body. Cinnamon too has anti-fatigue properties.
Cold and Flu: Most people with chronic cough, cold and sinuses have benefited from the consumption of honey and cinnamon. They also contain natural ingredients which not only kills, but also inhibits the growth of influenza infectious germs.
- Hair Loss: The paste made out of them controls baldness and hair fall.
- Toothache: Honey and cinnamon paste applied to an aching tooth reduces the pain.
- Stomach Upset: Taken internally, it helps relieve gas and pain in the stomach.
- Bladder Infection: Taken with warm water, it destroys and inhibits the growth of germs in the bladder.
- Skin Infections: Applied on the infected parts, it helps to cure pimples, insect bites, eczema, ringworm, etc.
- Bad Breath: Gargling with honey and cinnamon, mixed with water is used to keep breath fresh throughout the day.
Honey and cinnamon provide many benefits when consumed together, and have no side-effects. However, their suitability differs from individual to individual, so one must consult a doctor before trying them out.