When selecting a healthy diet plan for weight loss, make sure that it is a balanced and complete one. One can also get in touch with the dietitian, who would help with the guidelines for it. This article provides some information regarding the same.
It is not easy to lose weight but it is not impossible to either. There are many individuals who are desperate to lose weight and try out numerous fad diets that they have heard about. They don’t even mind shelling out huge amounts of money just to get that trim, ‘fab’ body. In order to achieve the same, people also tend to consume a lot of supplements, expecting a miracle to take place, without knowing about the possible ill-effects. There are certain things that must be taken into consideration before going on a diet to lose weight.
Weight loss does not happen overnight and it needs determination and dedication. Before going on a diet, it is necessary to incorporate the one which is complete and balanced. There are many healthy diets for men that are different from those designed for women. Men need more calories than women, which can be dealt with, if they follow a proper diet and eat meals as per their requirements.
For a healthy plan, one must follow a balanced meal which must contain the following foods:
- Lean meat, turkey, fish, chicken, eggs, pulses, and soy foods, rich in proteins
- Slight amount of rice, pasta, and bread that have a high carbohydrate content
- Fruits and vegetables, sources of vitamins and minerals
- Nuts, seeds, and oil that are fat sources
Here is a diet menu that has low calories and is appropriate for individuals who are on a regimen for losing weight and that might prove beneficial:
- Breakfast: 1 cup milk (or coffee), 1 bowl breakfast cereal, or oatmeal with fruit
- Snack: 1 serving of raw vegetable salad without dressing or a bowl of fruit
- Lunch: 1 chicken or turkey sandwich (whole-wheat bread), 1 serving vegetable soup, vegetable salad
- Snack: 1 tuna sandwich (whole-wheat bread), 1 fruit
- Dinner: Broiled halibut, 1 cup steamed white rice, 1 bowl steamed mixed vegetables
Some Healthy Recipes
Here are a few recipes that one can indulge in, without worrying about adding a few kilos to their waistline.
Appetizers: Low-Fat Hummus
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas), 1 can
- Warm water or garbanzo bean liquid, 1 cup
- Sesame seed oil, 1½ teaspoons
- Low-fat peanut butter, 1 tablespoon
- Ground cumin, ½ teaspoon
- Finely minced parsley leaves, ¼ cup
- Garlic cloves, minced 2 to 4
- Ground paprika or sumac, for garnish, 1 tablespoon
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice, ⅓ cup
- Salt to taste
Take a food processor and place the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, peanut butter, minced garlic, ground cumin, and salt in the container and blend them together till they form a homogeneous mixture. Now, add the garbanzo bean liquid or warm water and blend for about five minutes till it forms a puree. Add the seasonings and mix well. Transfer the contents to a bowl and stir in the sesame oil and finely minced parsley and combine thoroughly. Place the bowl in a refrigerator for about 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Nutritional Information for 1 Serving: 70 calories, 2 g fat, 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g proteins
Salad: Low-Fat Cesar Salad
- Romaine lettuce, tender leaves only, 4 cups
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, ¼ cup
- Low-fat mayonnaise, ½ cup
- Anchovy fillet, mashed, 1
- Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh lemon juice, 1½ tablespoons
- Garlic cloves, minced, 3 to 4
- Coarsely ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon
- Water, ½ cup
- Coarse salt, ½ teaspoon
In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, anchovy, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, water, and salt with the help of a blender till they combine thoroughly. Wash the lettuce leaves and pat them dry with paper towels. Tear the leaves into bite-size pieces and place them in a bowl. Add the dressing on top of the lettuce leaves and toss till the leaves are coated properly. Transfer the salad to plates and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Nutritional Information for 1 Serving: 39 calories, 1.5 g fat, 4.5 g carbohydrates
Main Course: Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli
Ingredients for Aioli:
- Prepared horseradish, 2 tablespoons
- Low-fat mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons
- Garlic cloves, minced, 3
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Chicken Cake:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1 pound
- Whole-wheat bread, 4 slices
- Egg whites, 3
- Fresh green onions, chopped, ¼ cup
- Cajun seasoning, 2 teaspoons
- Olive oil, 2 teaspoons
- Low-fat mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
For the aioli, combine the horseradish, mayonnaise, minced garlic, and salt in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Place this bowl in a refrigerator for about 3 to 4 hours before serving. For making the spicy chicken cake, place the bread slices in a food processor and blend till coarse crumbs are formed. Grind the chicken pieces in the food processor and transfer the contents to a medium-sized bowl, and add the green onions, mayonnaise, egg whites, bread crumbs, cajun seasoning, and salt, and combine well.
Form 4 to 5 large (or 8 to 10 small) patties of the chicken mixture. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken patties for 6 to 8 minutes till both sides become brown. Drain the excess oil with the help of paper towels and transfer them to a plate. Place a dollop of aioli on top of the chicken patties and garnish it with chopped green onions before serving.
Nutritional Information for 1 Serving: 242 calories, 7.1 g fat, 12.5 g carbohydrates, 29.5 g proteins, 0.5 g fiber, 749 mg sodium, 66 mg cholesterol, 44 mg calcium
One can follow the aforementioned healthy plan for losing weight, instead of going on crash diets, which may jeopardize the health. Also, follow a proper lifestyle, complete with sufficient sleep, ample exercise, and bid goodbye to bad habits to become active and to ensure loss of those extra pounds.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.