What is a high protein, low carb diet? This diet plan is mainly constructed for quick weight loss in an effective manner, restricting refined carbs from your diet which helps in controlling blood sugar and insulin levels, and reducing blood-triglyceride levels.
Basically, this diet aims on acquiring almost half of your daily calories from protein foods only. In order to build, maintain and repair tissues in our body, these high protein foods are highly recommended. Although many a times, people are not very welcoming to new weight loss diets as they seem pretty much alike.
If you have the same doubt, rest assured, the American Heart Association, the American Cancer Society, and the National Cholesterol Education Program, all have recommended this diet. We are going to learn about such snacks that will give you all the nutrients your body requires and still lose weight.
Before getting into any details, there are certain health risks that you should consider. Consumption of excess protein foods can be harmful to the kidneys, it results in high cholesterol (risk or heart disease, stroke, and cancer), and ketosis.
Also, following this diet means losing on the healthier carbs such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Hence it is wise to speak to your doctor before beginning the diet program.
Recipes to Maintain a Healthier Lifestyle
As we all lead a stressful and fast-paced lifestyles, it can be difficult to stick to a particular diet or exercise routine to lose weight. Here are some healthy snacks recipes that will satisfy the hunger monsters.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients and blend properly; make a smooth paste.
- In a skillet, apply the non-stick cooking spray and keep the heat on medium.
- With a ladle, pour 3 small spoons of batter.
- Cook on one side till the bubbles come up then flip the pancake.
- Once you get a golden brown color, remove from the skillet and enjoy them hot.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- For this recipe, instead of the pumpkin seeds, you can even use squash seeds or opt to combine both.
- In a bowl, mix the seeds, olive oil and your choice of seasoning.
- Place a parchment paper on a baking sheet, spread the seeds evenly on the surface and place inside the oven for about 4-5 minutes.
Garlic Flax seed Crackers
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- First of all, you will preheat the oven at 400°F.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients together.
- On a baking sheet, spoon the mixture over a greased parchment paper and place another parchment paper on top.
- Spread the mixture and level it at ⅛ inch thick with a rolling pin.
- Make sure the dough doesn't get too thin or else it will burn in the oven while cooking.
- If the sides have become thinner, use your fingers to push them slightly inside.
- Use a knife to slightly mark the size of the crackers.
- Do a rectangle or square shape so that once they are ready, you can break them easily.
- Place the sheet in the oven and bake for about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Once the center turns a bit solid, the crackers are ready. The sides will become slightly brown, now take out the crackers.
- Cut the crackers from the slits you made before and enjoy them whenever you like.
- To make the trail mix, all you have to do is combine all the ingredients together and store in a Ziploc bag to keep fresh.
- If you want, you can even add walnuts, sunflower seeds, currants, and hazelnuts to the mix for more flavor.
- To make delicious chicken-egg quiche, you'll have to preheat the oven at 350°F.
- In a bowl, add the beaten eggs with the rest of ingredients and mix properly.
- Take an 8-inch cake pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray, and pour the mixture in.
- In a blender, add all the ingredients together and mix thoroughly.
- Do a taste test and if you wish to add more Splenda, do so.
- Once your shake is of the right consistency, enjoy.
So these were some snacks you go indulge in and still lose weight. As mentioned earlier, it is very essential you consult your doctor before beginning this diet or any other diet for that matter as the health risks should not be overlooked.