A high protein diet is recommended for people who are either into bodybuilding, or wish to lose weight. However, it should not be confused with a low carb diet. Adequate amount of protein is required for building the skeletal muscles and other tissues.
However, when people start to follow the diet, they get bored of eating similar kind of food everyday. This is when they start looking for different recipes. Well, we've lined up a few ideas right here.
Healthy High Protein Recipes
We are often unaware of simple recipes which can combat our unhealthy lifestyle. There are also a number of high protein snacks, which you can make use of as well.
- Miso, 6 oz.
- Sake, ¼ cup
- Mirin, ½ cup
- Sifted sugar, 3 tablespoons
- Red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon
- Bite-sized vegetables (asparagus, broccoli florets, green beans, cauliflower, etc.), 4 cups
- Baked or grilled tofu, 12 ounces
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces.
- In a sauce pan, combine miso, sake, mirin, and sugar and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the dressing simmer for about 20 minutes, till it thickens a bit.
- Finally, add red pepper flakes, remove from heat, and allow the dressing to cool.
- While the dressing is being made, take another pot and fill it with water. Bring it to a boil and add salt to it. Blanch the vegetables in this water for about a minute.
- Remove the vegetables from the hot water and run cold water over them.
- Place them in a large bowl and pour one third of a cup of the dressing on the vegetables, until they are well coated.
- Then, add tofu to the vegetables and toss this up again.
- Finally, you may want to sprinkle some red pepper flakes on the salad.
- Turkey breast (grilled), 1 pound
- Cherry tomatoes (cut into half), 12 to 16
- Mushrooms (cut into half), 12 to 16
- Red onion, 1
- Sweet red pepper, 1
- Parsley (coarsely chopped), ½ cup
- Dijon mustard dressing, ½ cup
- Mixed salad greens, 4 cups
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel the onion, thinly slice it, and separate the rings.
- The red pepper should be cored, seeded, and cut into long thin strips.
- As far as possible, chill the salad greens.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the grilled turkey into 1 ½-inch strips.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, sweet red pepper strips, and chopped parsley.
- Add the mustard dressing, and coat the ingredients in the bowl.
- Line the plates with lettuce, and spoon the salad on to the plates.
- Sprinkle ground black pepper on the salad and serve.
If you like sprouts, you can also use them to make similar recipes, as they are rich in proteins. Along with the sprouts, lentils and tofu are also high protein foods for vegetarians. If you are a non-vegetarian, then there are several options to be made using lean meat.
When you are using meat, then it is recommended that you use white meat, as opposed to red meat. At the same time, it is recommended to use a lean cut piece or the breast piece, so that the meat does not have a high fat content.