Honeydew melons are one of the popular varieties of melons which are available all year round. It comes with a firm and smooth skin. The greenish white skin of the melon turns to yellowish white (becomes cream colored) as it ripens. The sweet flesh of the melon is pale-green in color. The fruit can be round or oval and has a long shelf life. Go through the interesting facts about honeydew melons, which provide information on its history, availability, nutrition facts, calories, health benefits, and uses.
Interesting Honeydew Melon Facts
Interesting Honeydew Melon Facts
- Honeydew melons are native to southern France and Algeria.
- Melons are cousins of the gourds, but they are known for exceptional sweetness. Gourds are also fruits, but they are used as vegetables, since they are not sweet.
- The Flesh of a honeydew melon is very sweet. You can enjoy the fruit without any additives. You don't need to combine it with other fruits.
- Records of the use of these melons date back to 2400 B.C. Information about their use was obtained from ancient Egyptian tombs. Even the Romans used to cultivate these melons.
- These days, they are produced in all parts of the world. Melon vines grow well in semiarid climate and warm soil.
- The melon falls off from the vine when ripe. While picking the about-to-ripen melon, you should cut it with a small piece (about an inch) of stem. This helps prevent the melon from rotting.
- Dried and roasted melon seeds are consumed as healthy snacks in countries from the Middle East.
- Mashed honeydew melon or melon puree can be given to babies. It helps improve their overall health.
- The melon flavor is picked up by everything in the refrigerator if you don't store a ripe melon in an air tight container.
- The weight of a honeydew melon is in the range of 1.8 to 3.6 kg (4 - 8 pounds). It can be about 15 - 22 cm (5.9 - 8.7 inches) long.
- The melon contains plenty of water (about 90%), meaning it keeps you well hydrated, thus working great for dehydration.
- A honeydew melon is a low calorie fruit. One cup of this melon contains about 60 calories. It is included in all types of weight loss diets as it helps suppress your appetite.
- This melon is known as Bailan melon in China. According to honeydew melon fun facts, this melon is also known as 'wallace' in China; because Mr. Wallace, vice president of the United States, introduced the melon and distributed melon seeds to Chinese farmers during his visit to China.
- Honeydew melon nutrition facts prove to us that this melon is loaded with a number of vitamins and minerals like vitamin A and C, beta carotene, and luteine and zeaxanthin. It also contains vitamin B, E and K, along with minerals, iron, calcium, zinc, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus.
- The honeydew melon is low in sodium. It is cholesterol free and fat free. It provides dietary fiber which helps improve digestive health. Various vitamins and minerals along with the antioxidants help strengthen the immune system.
- One cup of melon provides 70% of the daily required amount of antioxidant vitamin C. It helps prevent vision problems, cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancer.
- Honeydew melon health benefits include strong vision, strong heart, improved digestion, strong teeth and bones, smooth skin, thick hair, weight loss, strong muscles and tissues. It promotes the removal of toxins from the body, and enhances the functioning of the nervous system. It helps boost your energy levels too.
- The sweetness of the melon depends upon the harvesting time. Vine-ripened melons or melons removed from the vine just before its peak maturity have the best flavor. Such melons come with the highest sugar content, and is therefore very sweet.