Apple cider vinegar can be used for medicinal, as well as for cooking purposes. On account of its many benefits, its uses with respect to health and beauty are numerous. So the next time you want to use this solution to rinse your hair, or add it to a stew, you don't have to rush to the store to buy it. This article teaches you how to prepare apple cider vinegar all by yourself.
You will need
- Apples, 4 to 5
- Cake or wine making yeast, 1 package
- Sugar syrup or honey (optional)
- Choose apples that are completely ripe and without worms or blemishes. We opt for completely ripe apples since the sugar content in them is extremely high. Wash the apples properly, and cut them into small pieces after coring out the pips.
- Mash them with a blender till they let out the juice. Strain the juice with the help of a cheesecloth, and pour it into a nonmetallic container.
- Keep a cup of apple juice aside and stir in the yeast in it till it completely dissolves in the juice. Now, pour this mixture into the container which has the remainder of the apple juice, and stir it.
- Cover the container with a cheesecloth and place it in a dark place, preferably at room temperature. Stir this mixture after every two days with a wooden ladle, for about three to four weeks.
- After the stipulated time, taste the apple cider vinegar. If you find the taste is up to the mark, filter the vinegar to strain the yeast, and transfer it into a large, heavy bottom pot. If not, let it stand for a few more days.
- Place this pot over medium heat and keep stirring it to pasteurize it. Check the temperature with a cooking thermometer. Once it reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit, take the container off the heat and allow the concoction to cool down.
- With the help of a funnel, pour the apple cider vinegar into a glass bottle. Secure the lid tightly, and place the bottle in a hot water bath. Once the bottle has cooled down, rub it dry and store it in a dark, cool, and dry place.