A naturally produced acidic compound found in the human body, L-arginine promotes relaxation of the blood vessels by producing nitric oxide. This article provides information on the health benefits for men, women, and bodybuilders.
L-arginine is an amino acid which plays an important role in maintaining and improving your health. It is acidic in nature, works as an antioxidant when taken like any other amino acid supplement, and offers innumerable health benefits. It is mainly produced in the kidneys. The liver also produces it in small amounts. Severe burns, infections, and injuries can cause low level production. Some rare genetic disorders can stunt the production of it. L-arginine foods and supplements can be consumed to avoid health complications resulting out of its deficiency.
L-Arginine Amino Acid
Functions and Uses
- L-arginine plays an important role in protein formation. It triggers the secretion of human growth hormone and prolactin.
- It is involved in the formation of l-proline, an important amino acid that is essential for the synthesis of collagen. It speeds up wound healing.
- Benefits also include maintaining normal blood pressure, preventing interstitial cystitis, and intermittent claudication. It works great for migraines.
- The body uses arginine amino acid to make nitric oxide which relaxes blood vessels. It is therefore said that l-arginine works great for atherosclerosis, erectile dysfunction, and intermittent claudication.
- As it reduces the stiffness of the blood vessels, an improvement in blood flow can be noticed. Thus, it reduces the chances of cardiovascular diseases. Intake of this amino acid should be avoided after a heart attack, which may aggravate the effects of cardiac shock and prove to be fatal.
- L-arginine is recommended for erectile dysfunction. This amino acid helps in producing nitric oxide, which relaxes the muscles surrounding the blood vessels supplying blood to the penis. Dilated blood vessels in the penis can maintain an increased blood flow, which in turn helps maintain an erection. This is one of the important l-arginine benefits.
Health Benefits for Women
- L-arginine is used to treat sexual dysfunction in women.
- As it promotes better blood flow, it helps prevent heart diseases.
- It enhances the body’s ability to fight off diseases by improving the functioning of the immune system.
- A woman’s body undergoes several changes. Amino acid present in the body helps prevent some illnesses and lessens recovery time of other illnesses.
- It reduces blood pressure by lowering the LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) level in the body, which is especially helpful in many ways for women.
Benefits for Bodybuilders
- Arginine plays an important role in muscle development, and hence, is extensively used in the bodybuilding.
- It produces nitric oxide.
- It fights free radicals.
- It signals muscle cells.
- It promotes the release of growth hormones.
- It reduces bad cholesterol as it supports healthy cholesterol.
- It enhance fat metabolism.
- It helps regulate salt levels in the body.
- It plays an important role in protein synthesis.
- It boosts the immune system, thereby allowing an individual to train harder, and avoid the harmful effects of some of the health problems associated with over-training.
More arginine rich foods should be included in the diet in order to maintain heart health, prevent heart diseases, enhance memory, treat depression, contribute better sleep and manages stress. Almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, wheat germ, and soy protein isolate are some examples of food items high in arginine.
The numerous benefits and its anti-aging effects urged most reputed brands in producing l-arginine supplements. Higher doses of l-arginine causes heartburn, ulcers, and digestive disorders. Excessive ingestion of l-arginine manufactured doses raises the acid level in the stomach. Other harmful effects are low blood pressure, high concentration of sugar in blood, indigestion, nausea, and headaches. Children, pregnant and nursing women should not take arginine supplements. Those who wish to take l-arginine supplements must consult a physician. Usage of these supplements are under professional supervision is highly advisable.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only. Please consult your physician or nutritionist before taking any supplements.