What foods can be eaten on a low-carb 1000-calorie diet? Why should someone follow a low-carb diet in the first place? Find your answers in the following article.
Many people, in the hope of losing weight, follow various kinds of diets and weight loss programs. Either it’s high protein, low-carb, or less calories; we have found countless ways to lose weight and stay in shape. But have you ever thought that reducing the intake of healthy, nutritional foods can have an adverse effect? Of course, when you are talking about a low-carb 1000-calorie diet, eyebrows will be raised because this diet is not supposed to be followed for more than a short period of time. In this article, we are discussing a diet which consists of eating only 1000 calories and has low carbs too. But before that, why don’t we take a look at the big question, as to why would someone want to follow such a diet.
Why Follow this Diet Plan?
When you limit your intake of carbohydrates, it helps you keep weight off. Even though complex carbs should be taken in proper quantities, you can follow a low-carb diet that includes unsaturated fats, limited amounts of complex carbs and fats, and proteins. Balancing your diet with proper portions can in fact work for you. As we discussed earlier, people who are concerned about their weight and are looking to lose few pounds, can begin this diet. Along with weight loss, people who are obese, have high cholesterol levels, and/or are suffering from hypertension, can also follow this diet.
The reason this diet works is that when you reduce the intake of carbs, you are actually decreasing insulin production in your body. As this occurs, your body is forced to use fats which are stored in your body to gain energy. The fats from your body get eaten up and you lose weight. Of course, the diet doesn’t work on its own. You need to engage in proper exercises, cut down on fast foods and junk foods, get adequate sleep, and watch what you eat. Only then can the diet work to its full effect.
Foods to Include in the Diet
A low calorie diet that has only 1000 total calories will consist of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack. All these meals will make up 1000 calories and the foods will be low in carbs. You can include fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, nuts, grains, and dairy products that are considered to be low in carbs. So why don’t we look at what your options are.
Nuts & Grains
Dangers of Low-carb Diet
Even though the 1000 calorie diet for weight loss works for most people, it shouldn’t be followed for a long periods of time, as it can have ill effects on your health. The issue or concern arises when some people take the diet a bit too far. By limiting the intake of daily calories recommended for men and women, you are putting yourself at risk. Here are some side effects or risks which you should be aware of before starting a low carb diet.
- Your metabolism rate lowers because you are consuming only 1000 calories a day. So when you are looking to lose weight, a low metabolism rate is ineffective to gain the results.
- You will deplete the glycogen from the muscles and liver. This depletion makes you dehydrated which is often mistaken for weight loss, when in fact, you are getting dehydrated and suffering from loss of muscles.
- Due to the depletion of muscle glycogen, you can get tired very quickly. In turn, you won’t have enough physical energy to finish the day’s chores and activities.
- When you get back to your normal diet, you will gain all the weight back quickly. Also, this diet has very little amounts of fiber which is essential to help you stay away from digestive track cancer, irritable bowel disorders, constipation, and heart diseases.
- With this diet, you are restricting your body from having nutritional and essential vitamins and minerals which it requires. This limitation can cause various health risks and imbalances in the body.
In this article, you were presented with the pros and cons of beginning a diet plan. Now it is up to you to decide whether or not you should begin the diet. A good way to make the decision is by consulting your doctor, as he/she will be best to seek advice from.