Pecans, also known as Carya illinoinensis, are native to south, central, and north regions of America. The pecan tree is deciduous, and really large with an average height of about 80 feet and average spread of 18 m. The diameter of the trunk is about 2 m. The word pecan, means a nut that requires a stone to crack it. Scientifically speaking, this fruit is not really considered to be a nut. In fact, it is considered as a drupe or a stone fruit. The dried form of this fruit has a rich and buttery flavor, and is often used for making desserts such as pecan pie and praline pecan candy. The health benefits of this fruit are numerous, and to add to that, the calorie content is negligible.
Here is a chart that explains the nutrition value of serving size of 1 ounce, that may account for about 20 halves of pecans.
|Nutrition||Amount||Daily Value (%)|
|Calories from fat||184||-|
|Total fat||20.4 g||31%|
|Saturated fat||1. 752 g||9%|
|Polyunsaturated fats||6.128 g||-|
|Monounsaturated fats||11.567 g||-|
|Total carbohydrates||3.93 g||1%|
|Dietary fibers||2.7 g||11%|
Pecans are great antioxidants. They are also known to be useful for heart health, owing to their low or negligible calorie content. Some studies also state that daily consumption of these nuts can reduce high cholesterol levels and control blood pressure. These can also help regulate the rate of metabolism and promote healthy weight loss. They are a rich and natural source of protein, phytochemicals, and unsaturated fats. Unlike other sources of protein, they are sodium-free and fiber-rich in nature. The nuts also provide gamma tocopherol, which is a healthy derivative of vitamin E. The best thing about them is that their traditional candied or honey-roasted form is also equally healthy and low in calories.
Calories in pecan nuts vary, depending on the way they are prepared and consumed. It means that amount of calories in pies, or the honey-roasted or praline form are totally different. Here is some more information about the calorie content.
- 1 serving of Outback Steakhouse Blue Cheese and Pecan Chopped Salad: 523 calories
- 1 tablespoon of chopped pecans: 70 calories
- 1 teaspoon of Diamond Chopped Pecans: 17.33 calories
- 1 cup Fisher Chef's Naturals Chopped Pecans: 760 calories
- 1 package of Trader Joe's Field Fresh Chopped Salad, made of Couscous, Currants, Asiago, Chicken, Pecans, Basil Dressing: 390 calories
- 1 chop of Dream Dinners Pecan Crusted Pork Chops: 318 calories
- 1 slice of Homemade Banana Pineapple Cake with chopped pecans: 450 calories
- 1 pack of Wendy's Salad's Honey Roasted Pecans calories: 130 calories
- 1 serving of sugar cinnamon pecans: 771 calories
- 1 cup Market Pantry Chopped Pecans: 840 calories
- 1 cup Southern Grove (Aldi) Chopped Pecans: 630 calories
- 1 Homemade Pork Chops with Jalapeno-Pecan Cornbread Stuffing: 290 calories
- 1 Homemade Sugar-Free Organic Pumpkin Muffins with chopped pecans: 176 calories
- 1 oz. Candied Pecans: 246 calories
- 1 Medium Piece of Pecan Pie: 500 calories