Japanese being the greatest consumers of seaweeds, most seaweed or sea vegetable varieties are best known by Japanese and Chinese names. Seaweeds are an invariable part of Japanese food. Seaweeds are nothing but algae, that are packed with a number of essential nutrients.
- Japanese seaweed salad, (Hissho Sushi), 56 gm: 70 calories.
- Calories in Ukrop's Hissho Sushi, 113 gm: 141 calories.
- Calories in wakame salad, 201.8 gm: 216 calories.
- Calories in kale with seaweed sesame salad, 57 gm: 49 calories.
- Calories in seaweed salad, Whole Foods, 1 serving, 1/4th pound: 35 calories.
The main ingredient of a seaweed salad is usually wakame. But sometimes, the ingredients that are added to enhance the taste of the salad affect the nutritional value of the salad. So while assessing the calories in seaweed salad, you should check the ingredients first and thereby the nutrition profile of the salad.
The stems and branches of wakame, strands of agar-agar (gelatin-like sheets made from seaweed), rice wine vinegar, hot red peppers, sugar, toasted sesame seeds and soy sauce are also used to prepare the salad. Sometimes slivers of black mushrooms are added. Most seaweed salads are flavored with sesame oil or sesame seeds.
Some salads are seasoned with red pepper flakes, vinegar, olive oil, salt and cloud ear (kikurage) mushrooms. Agar agar, when added, offers a good texture to the salad. But some manufacturers add artificial dye, sugar or corn syrup to the salad. It is possible that the product served in restaurants is pre-packaged. Such salads cannot be considered healthy.
Health Benefits of Seaweed Salads
Seaweed salads can be enjoyed with all types of seafood.
- Nutrients-rich seaweeds help slow down the process of aging.
- Seaweeds promote stable blood sugar levels.
- They strengthen the immune system and bones as they provide vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, niacin, vitamin A, zinc, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, E and K, iodine, thiamine, etc.
- They are rich in antioxidants and they protect you from diseases.
- They improve your appetite, energy levels, and help avoid birth defects when consumed by pregnant women.
- You should sprinkle dry seaweed over salads as it promotes detoxification of your body and improves your overall health.
Seaweed salads can be consumed as appetizers or healthy snacks. The underlying nutty, salty, sea flavor and fantastic taste are the characteristic properties of the salads. Seaweeds are also added to soups, stews and other dishes. Health benefits of seaweeds contribute towards increasing popularity of seaweeds worldwide.
Seaweed is considered as healthy food as it is packed with various vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium, iodine along with fiber and beta carotene. Moreover, it is a low-calorie, low-fat food. Seaweed salad calories are negligible. Dietitians suggest that you should include at least one seaweed, the super food, in your daily diet plan.