The South Beach Diet is consumption of low-carb and high-protein foods. Here are a few scrumptious recipes for this diet.
Devised by cardiologist Arthur Agatston, this diet emphasizes on consuming ‘good fats’, while avoiding trans fats and saturated fats. It is also about eating good carbohydrates. Good carbs are vegetables that have low glycemic index. Foods with a high glycemic index are potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, cereal, corn, carrots, beets, and fruit. There are basically three phases in the diet, with the first phase, which lasts for two weeks, being the most strict, after which more foods are allowed progressively in phases 2 and 3. Given below are a few delicious recipes.
Green Peppers Stuffed with Chicken
- 2 cups, chicken breast (skinless, boneless, cooked, and shredded)
- 2 green bell peppers
- ½ cup, onion (chopped)
- 1 zucchini (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons, Parmesan cheese (grated)
- ¾ cup, mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons, light cream cheese
- 3 garlic cloves
- Herb seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
Heat the olive oil and fry the zucchini, onion, and garlic. Prepare the peppers for stuffing. Other than the Parmesan cheese, combine the rest of the ingredients along with the fried vegetables in a food processor, blending until the mixture turns smooth. Fill the shells of the bell peppers and for 30 minutes at 350 ºF. Top the stuffed peppers with Parmesan and bake for 10 more minutes.
Nutty Peas with Dill
- 1½ tablespoons, walnuts (broken; toasted)
- 1½ tablespoons, almonds (slivered; toasted)
- 1 (10 oz.) packet, frozen peas
- 1½ teaspoons, dill
- ¼ cup, onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon, butter (low-fat)
- ¼ teaspoon, salt
- ¼ teaspoon, black pepper
Cook the frozen peas according to the directions on the package, and drain it out. In a saucepan, add the butter, onion, cooked peas, dill, pepper and salt, and heat thoroughly. Then, sprinkle with the nuts.
Tuna with Chopped Salad
- 1 (6 oz.) can, tuna in oil (drained; flaked)
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (drained; rinsed)
- 1 head romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 2 cups, parsley (chopped coarsely)
- ½ red onion, chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 20 black olives (pitted; chopped into slivers)
- ¼ cup, of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons, white-wine vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon, pepper
- ¼ teaspoon, salt
Put the vinegar in a salad bowl, and add the pepper and salt to it. Then, pour the oil into it and whisk until it emulsifies. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well.
Tangy and Spicy Shrimp
- 2 cups, shrimp (shelled)
- ½ tablespoon, cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon, hot red chili pepper
- ½ teaspoon, rosemary (crushed)
- 1½ teaspoons, garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon, olive oil
Heat the oil in a skillet, and stir in the peppers and the garlic. Then, add the shrimp and stir. When the shrimp starts turning pink, add the rosemary and cook for some more minutes. Serve hot.
Mixed Fruit topped with Lime Sauce
- 1 cup, strawberries (sliced)
- 2 kiwis (peeled; chopped)
- 2 seedless oranges (peeled; chopped)
- 1 (8 oz.) tin, fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon, lime juice
- 1 teaspoon, grated peel of lime
- 4 teaspoons, granular zero calorie sweetener
In a bowl combine the strawberries, kiwi, and oranges, and spoon them into eight serving dishes. Then, mix the rest of the ingredients until blended well, and spoon this evenly on top of the fruits.