We hear a lot about walnuts, these days. Apart from the fact, that walnuts are one of the most delicious nuts, they are also one of the healthiest foods available to us today. They do not have a high amount of saturated fats, and do not add too many calories either, making them one of the healthiest foods around, especially for someone trying to lose weight. If you do not want to eat a handful of raw walnuts, you can use them in several recipes that are healthy.
The Calorie Count
Like most nuts, the walnut also comes packed with a host of nutrients. The total calorie content is not too high and hence, it makes these nuts an ideal food for people trying to lose weight. Estimates say that 25 gm serving of this nut will add only 164 calories, while an ounce of walnuts will add 185 calories to your daily consumption.
Along with a fairly low calorie count, there are a few more things, which make walnut a very good snack option. Everyone knows that nuts have a very high oil content and hence, a very high fat content. However, most of the fats in walnuts are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. They are widely regarded as 'healthy' fats and better, when compared to the saturated fats. Having said that, these nuts also have a high content of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which are good for the body. They are also known to actively help reduce the LDL cholesterol (the 'bad' cholesterol) in the blood. Hence, for people with heart disease, it is very beneficial.
- As discussed before, walnuts are good for people with heart-related problems and for those with high cholesterol, as they help reduce the levels of cholesterol in the body. However, the omega-3 fatty acids do more than just that. These fatty acids also aid better mental function and protect the body against rheumatoid arthritis and eczema.
- These nuts are also high in melatonin, which has antioxidant properties.
- They are also a rich source of proteins, fiber, vitamin B, and minerals like iron, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, and copper.
- Walnuts also contain ellagic acid, which helps to support the immune system. Ellagic acid is also said to have good anti-cancer properties.
- The nuts are also said to have aphrodisiacal qualities, which helps to boost erection in men. Walnuts contain amino acids, which get absorbed in the body, and help to slightly enlarge blood vessels and increase the blood supply to the necessary areas.
- They are known to have a mild laxative effect and help to treat constipation.
As you can see, walnuts are a very utile food item. They help reduce the calorie intake and keep cholesterol at minimized levels. They also increase the level of omega-3 fatty acids. They taste great, and can be used in some wonderful recipes. What more could you ask for?