The main grit of the Weight Watchers program is its points system chart. When you prepare a personalized chart for yourself, you can control your weight loss goal. See how the point system works and is calculated in this article…
Disclaimer: The team of Weight Watchers keeps updating the program, according to the requirements/feedback of their members. The program has been updated many times, the latest one being the Weight Watchers 360° program, which was unveiled on the 3rd of December, 2012. The program teaches members how to manage their food environment, claiming that we tend to eat what we see. It also guides people on ways to control their temptation, and to avoid pleasure eating. Weight Watchers has not increased their rates for this new approach, and all the meetings, eTools, and apps are included in the total fee.
The content in this article explains the Weight Watchers Points System program in detail. The details of the current program are exclusively available to the paid members of Weight Watchers.
Every now and then, while losing weight, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to somehow get motivated. Somewhere down the line, due to low will power, long day at work, and/or any other factors, we can divert from our ideal weight loss goals. I can say this for a fact as this too, happens to me at times. Perhaps some of you may be going through similar feelings and need something to change in your lives. Preparing and organizing a proper chart for yourself will not only help you lose weight, but also keep you on the right track. Whether it is a healthy weight loss program, proper diet regime, regular fitness schedule, or a simple thing like motivation. That’s where Weight Watchers comes in with its “right approach” to our lifestyle. Whenever you don’t have time to exercise or eat at home, Weight Watchers point system can help you get there. Whether your weight loss attempt is for short or long-term, we need a helping hand once in a while. In this article, we are trying to highlight the benefits of following the point system, and lose weight quickly and safely.
This weight loss program brings in a crucial part of planning your entire diet that promotes weight loss and follow it religiously. But how does the point system work? Whenever someone begins this program, he/she will be assigned to specific points which are supposed to be incorporated. These points are calculated depending on how much that person weighs now and what the ideal weight loss goal is. After studying the Weight Watchers points chart, he/she can decide the number of points given to different types of foods.
Weight Watchers Points’ Guide
Many a time, people associate losing weight to starvation. That’s definitely not the case with this system. What you need to concentrate on is a healthy weight loss. This way, you won’t quickly gain weight. Now, the point is not to starve yourself or eat less. What you need to concentrate on is to eat in a smarter way. While on this diet, you aren’t forbidden to eat any specific foods. As each food is given its specific points on the chart, you can easily decide how much is going in (via calories) and how much is getting lost (via exercise).
Although it may seem that the point system is similar for every person, it isn’t so. There are many factors that will decide an individual’s points. Depending on your current weight, age, how many pounds they need to lose, and current health conditions, a special chart is ready for them which includes their daily points. All these things are taken into consideration and hence, your personalized chart is prepared. As you go through the table below, the points can change depending on the factors (weight, age, weight loss goal, and health).
|Weight (lb)||Weight (kg)||Points per Day|
|Less than 150||Less than 68||18 – 23|
|150 – 174||68 – 79||20 – 25|
|175 – 199||80 – 90||22 – 27|
|200 – 224||91 – 101||24 – 29|
|225 – 249||102 – 113||26 – 31|
|250 – 274||114 – 124||28 – 33|
|275 – 299||125 – 135||29 – 34|
|300 – 324||136 – 147||30 – 35|
|325 – 349||148 – 158||31 – 36|
|350||159||32 – 37|
Besides the table provided here, you can also check the NutriNeat article which provides you with the list of Weight Watchers points. You can now pinpoint the total number of points which you will consume each day. The more you understand the points system, the faster and better the weight loss will be.
Prepare a Points Chart for Yourself
In this section, we will make a chart that provides a systematic approach of constructing proper meals. This system will work according to your diet. Depending on which recipes you follow, the ingredients, and how often you eat, the chart will vary from one person to another.
- First of all, download a free chart. This chart will work as a reference for you. If you’re new to this program, the chart will help you understand how to go about it.
- The points should have daily meals and beverages, along with daily snacks which are assigned in the diet plan. Remember, there’s no need to leave anything out purposely. This will only hamper your chances of losing weight.
- For particular food categories, write down their respective points depending on the portions. The count of portions has to be accurate. Also, include daily foods which are free of points; meaning, no food points.
- Next, you will plan your meals and snacks according to your new points table. Plan smartly as you will follow this system religiously.
- For daily 3 small meals and 3 snacks, divide the total points by 6. We do this to control your metabolic rate and hence, several small meals throughout the day is recommended.
- For your points calculation, open a spreadsheet in excel. It will be easier for you to keep track.
- Write ‘Food’ in cell A1, ‘Calories’ in cell A2, ‘Fiber’ in cell A3, ‘Fat’ in cell A4, and ‘Weight Watchers Points’ in cell A5.
- With these categories, you can easily write the points from the chart into the points calculator. And remember to update them every time.
- Just type in the food on the left side and enter the correct information. With the 5th column, you will be able to calculate your points accurately.
- In cell B5, you will type B2/50 – (B3 x 0.2) + (B4 x 0.08). This is the formula that will give you a personalized points calculation system.
- Copy the formula from cell B5 and paste it in multiple 5th column cells.
Eating right is not the only way this program works. It is a strict following that regular exercise is also included into your weight loss goal. Although following a points system can be tough for some people, keep in mind that these restrictions are for your own benefit. Without jeopardizing your health and well-being, this program has been constructed.
Make sure, while using the chart, you pay close attention to the portion sizes as well. The portion sizes, of every meal, make a huge difference in your points calculation. For a better and more assured weight loss plan, increase your exercise level every 2 weeks with 20 to 30 minutes per week. With these helpful tips, you can get your ideal body weight while eating everything you want.