Testosterone is produced in large amount by the testicles in males, and in small amounts by the ovaries in the females. This hormone is responsible for the brain, muscle mas development, fat distribution, genital tissue development, and sexual functioning. This article provides information about the various benefits and risks associated with the consumption of natural testosterone boosters.
Male and female hormones in our body are a major determinant of how ‘feminine’ or ‘masculine’ we are. Testosterone is one of the main male hormones and estrogen is the female hormone. Both men and women have both of those in their body, albeit in different amounts.
Men are characterized by more of testosterone and women are ‘women’ because of estrogen along with other hormones. If the delicate balance of these hormones is disturbed, it can be quite disastrous. However, for people who have deficiency of this hormone in their body, testosterone therapy is recommended. Sometimes though in a few cases, men do experiment and go for testosterone boosters. But are natural testosterone boosters safe?
How Do Testosterone Boosters Work?
Testosterone boosters and supplements are used by body builders and those who want to gain muscle, even though there is no testosterone deficiency. On the other hand, these boosters should be taken to compensate for testosterone deficiency in men. Body builders use it for enhancing lean muscle mass, bone formation, and to get massive muscles. Overall it enhances the masculine traits, sex drive, and energy level in men. They apparently also affect the overall health of men. Now that we have a fair idea of what these testosterone boosters do and how they work, let us take a look at what are the possible side effects of this hormone and whether they are safe or not.
Safety Factors Related to Testosterone Boosters
There are different views about the usage and safety which will be addressed below.
Some of the consumers have been satisfied, and are impressed with the results. There is a wave of opinion that they work, with negligible side effects. These are specially great for those who want to develop lean muscle mass and build muscles. They are even more beneficial for those who are lacking in energy and vitality on account of hormonal imbalance. Also, some medical resources say that these boosters may also help in reducing weight by decreasing fats in the body.
Some people are of the opinion that these products are not exactly safe and can be harmful if used in higher amounts. Hence, they cannot be taken casually, as in the long run they might cause irreversible damage to the body.
These side effects are:
- Hair Loss/ Baldness – Male pattern baldness can be stimulated if testosterone boosters are used for a long period of time.
- Glucose levels in the blood can drop or rise suddenly with the use of testosterone boosters. This is particularly dangerous for diabetics.
- Sebaceous glands of the skin are stimulated more than usual by testosterone boosters, leading to severe acne on the face and chest.
- Natural testosterone supplements for women are also available, but excess dosage may lead to some serious side effects. That is, they will develop more muscle mass. They may develop a deep and heavy voice, and experience an increase in body hair.
- If these boosters are used excessively, it can lead to destruction of body’s hormone-producing glands, and even affect the male sex organ.
The problem with testosterone for body building is that moderate amount is not enough. So, body builders tend to use it excessively, which can lead to the aforementioned problems. Of course, the claim about muscle development has been proved, but there are other better ways to naturally increase testosterone in your bloodstream!
Ultimately, if you want to take these boosters, speak to a specialist before taking them.