Is chicken pizza your favorite dish? Looking for the calories in buffalo chicken pizza? This article provides the information you are looking for. Scroll down to know some interesting facts about the origin of buffalo wings, along with the calories and nutrition facts of buffalo chicken pizzas.
‘Buffalo wings’ is a typical and tasty American dish. It has nothing to do with the buffalo! It consists of chicken wings only; and is named after the place, Buffalo, New York, where it had originated. A chicken wing fried without covering it with bread crumbs, and served coated in chili sauce is called a ‘buffalo wing’. A pizza with Buffalo wings comes with a crispy pizza crust, topped with hot chicken chunks, a bit of celery and blue and cream cheese crumbles. Buffalo chicken pizza calories may vary according to the type and amount of ingredients used.
Calories in Buffalo Wings and Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Your favorite pizza, topped with blue cheese salad dressing, cubes of skinless, boneless chicken breast mixed in melted butter and hot sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese and celery, comes with about 785 calories. Total fat content can be about 41 g and it contains about 83 mg cholesterol. These days, instead of chicken wings, chicken breast is commonly used to top the pizza.
- One serving (1 slice) of Domino’s delicious Buffalo chicken pizza comes with 246 calories. Calories in the pizza may vary according to the size of the pizza and also according to the type of the crust, thin or thick.
- One serving of Pizza Hut (12 inches dia) Hand Tossed Buffalo Chicken Pizza has 240 calories.
- 1 slice of medium-sized Domino’s Buffalo chicken pizza contains about 260 calories. A large slice may contain about 325 calories.
- 1 medium-sized buffalo wing which may weigh about 22 g contains 52 calories.
- 1 tbsp of Buffalo wing sauce contains about 5 calories.
Chicken pizzas are high in sodium, fat and cholesterol, and therefore should be consumed in moderation. The skin contains most of the fat, but it also offers great flavor along with the sauce. Calories from the pizza can lead to weight gain. If you want, you can use fresh or frozen skinless drummettes. Instead of frying, you may bake the wings. If you want to avoid butter, you may avoid dipping the chicken pieces in liquid hot sauce mixture. Instead, you may apply a mixture of spices to the skinless drummettes, and then bake them in the oven. For homemade pizzas, you can use low-fat versions of cheese and butter. This helps lower the calories in the pizza.
Buffalo Chicken Wings History
A few decades before, chicken wings, neck and back, were mostly used to make soups and stocks. Chicken breast, thigh, and leg portions were the most sought after chicken pieces. But then, suddenly, there was an increased demand for chicken wings. A number of people have claimed ownership of the original hot wings recipe. But we know that the Anchor Bar from Buffalo, New York, had introduced hot chicken wings way back in 1964.
The owner of the Anchor Bar, Teressa Bellissimo, first made Buffalo Wings on October 30, 1964. She just made them from scratch. She found too many chicken wings in the kitchen when her son and his friends wanted something to eat. She fried the wings and dipped them in a buttered spicy red pepper sauce. While serving, she garnished them with celery and served them with blue cheese dressing (perhaps to lower the heat of the chili sauce). The wings enjoyed instant popularity.
July 29 is celebrated as the ‘Chicken Wing Day’ in Buffalo. These days, various types and flavors of chicken wings are served in restaurants. While ordering a Buffalo Chicken Pizza, just take a look at the calories obtained from various types of pizzas and then select the item. I am sure you desperately want to have a pizza right now. I sign off with love and best wishes.