Feeling guilty about enjoying some delicious chocolate covered raisins today? Don’t feel so guilty yet. You can learn about the calories in these little delights, their benefits (yes, there are some), and the right amount to consume these in so that you don’t feel guilty about enjoying these ever again.
Chocolate covered raisins can simply be called tiny finger-licking delights. Good things come in small packages indeed. There are people who love raisins, and there are people who find chocolate simply irresistible. Combine the two and they have found an almost heavenly combination. If you are one such person, you probably can truly connect with what is being said here. However, before you grab a fistful of these and start enjoying them, you ought to know the number of calories these contain. Of course it is heavenly but you need to put a stop on it if you want to keep enjoying these in the long run. So here’s a look into the calories in chocolate covered raisins to keep you in control!
How Many Calories do you Consume in One Chocolate Covered Raisin?
Since these are made of chocolates and raisins, i.e. two ingredients that are thought to be a lethal combination when counting calories, people are likely to get worried. But here’s why you shouldn’t be worried.
- 1 chocolate covered raisin consists of 4 calories.
- 1 dark chocolate covered raisin consists of 6 calories.
Now, what is the right amount that you can indulge in? Experts do not ask you to abstain from this treat even if you are on a weight loss regime. You are definitely allowed to indulge in it, by consuming only 10 pieces of these. This is a safe amount to consume and will not throw you off track if you are on a diet.
Surprisingly, chocolate covered raisins also offer a variety of benefits, which are of higher value when you consume raisins covered with dark chocolate. Some of these benefits have been enlisted here.
- Both dark chocolate and raisins have a large amount of antioxidants that can help keep your immune system healthy.
- Raisins are relatively fat-free and consist of a lot of nutrients including iron, calcium and potassium. They also consist of a lot of fiber which is healthy for the body.
- Those who consume these delicious treats on a low cholesterol diet may benefit as these help elevate HDL or ‘good’ cholesterol levels.
- You will not be affected by acne or any other skin problem by consuming raisins covered in dark chocolate, in small amounts (unless you are allergic to either – in which case it may have other reactions too). It is probably milk chocolate that can cause such a condition, but even that in limited amounts will not be harmful.
- Enjoying these will also soothe you as they are eventually sweet and tend to relax the mind for a bit. Pleasurable indeed!
- A special compound present in dark chocolate can actually help fight tooth decay (this does not mean you enjoy these as much as you want – they still have calories).
The aforementioned benefits are more effective when you purchase dark chocolate covered raisins that are made from organic ingredients. Organic ingredients are also known to taste much better than regular varieties.
If you are worried about finding the right brand that will cater to your needs, why not try making these yourself? You can be sure of the ingredients you use, and these little treats are so easy to prepare at home. Get yourself some organic dark chocolate chips along with some organic raisins. Take a quarter of a cup of dark chocolate chips and heat them in a double boiler or in a microwave (on high for a minute) to melt it. Keep a pound of raisins at hand, and add them to the chocolate slowly so that each raisin is thoroughly coated. If you find excess chocolate in the bowl add some more raisins. You want the raisins to be lightly coated. On a piece of parchment paper on a tray, spread out the coated raisins in one flat layer. Keep the tray in the freezer until they become firm. This should take anywhere between five to ten minutes. Remove them, break them apart with your hand, and enjoy. You may store the remainder in a box in the refrigerator and enjoy whenever you have a sugar craving!
Easy wasn’t it? This delicious snack is ready in a matter of minutes with ingredients so simple (and everything you are sure of) that you really don’t have to wait for your organic chocolate covered raisins to be shipped to you. In any case, the calories will be almost similar, whether homemade or store bought. Just consume these in the amount mentioned above, and you are definitely going to be protected from unnecessary additional calories. Enjoy!