Most Centrum Silver side effects that have been found so far are quite minor. It is only in some rare cases that the symptoms could be serious. Read this article to gather more information about this product and the ways in which it affects the body.
Centrum Silver is a brand of multivitamin supplement. It consists of vitamins and minerals that are essential for several life processes in the body. This combination of different vitamins and minerals that are naturally found in various foods and other natural sources is also referred to as centrum performance. It has vitamin C and vitamin E which act as antioxidants.
Other ingredients include Vitamin A, vitamins B12, B6, Lycopene, etc., depending upon the variant one is using. It is important for those who do not get sufficient vitamins and minerals from food and suffer from malnutrition. It is prescribed to those patients whose body fails to absorb certain kind of nutrients because of some health problems. Usually, Centrum Silver side effects are different in every individual case.
How to Use Centirum Silver
You should take Centrum Silver as per the directions given by the doctor. If you have not understood the instructions properly, ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain it to you clearly. It is available in the form of chewable tablets, as well as in liquid form. If you are using tablets, then chew them properly, before swallowing.
When you are using the liquid form, use a dose measuring cup or spoon. Never use your regular household tablespoon. Take the dose of supplement with one glass of water. Preferably, it should be taken with food which can minimize the chance of a stomach upset. Do not take it with dairy products or calcium supplements. This is because calcium tends to make the absorption of certain components of the multivitamin, difficult.
Some people tend to experience side effects till the time their body gets accustomed to the supplement. Others may experience it when their body reacts adversely to one of the components of the supplement.
Here are a few of the most commonly observed ones:
- Some people get a headache after the intake of Centrum Silver in the first few days.
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth is experienced by some people who have used this product. However, it is nothing serious and goes away after sometime.
- A burning sensation can be felt in the skin, which many people describe as a feeling similar to a minor sunburn. In most cases, this sensation goes within a few hours of ingestion.
- Gastrointestinal problems like upset stomach, diarrhea, nausea, and constipation may also occur. These symptoms are usually quite minor and go once the body adjusts to the multivitamin.
- Allergic reaction towards any vitamins and minerals that are found in the formula of multivitamins. The signs and symptoms of allergy include hives or skin rash, itching, dizziness, breathing difficulty, swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat. Such a reaction could be a serious issue, and might need emergency medical intervention.
- When Centrum Silver is not administered as per the recommended dosage. Over dosage symptoms like stomach pain, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness in muscles and joints, weight loss, pale skin, change in menstrual cycles, blood in urine, etc. are observed.
- Certain mineral overdose can cause tooth staining, irregular heartbeat, frequent urination, etc.
Overdose of Vitamins A, D, E, and K can be dangerous and can lead to a life-threatening condition. Hence, if any of the symptoms are noticed, one should consult the doctor immediately for treatment.
Many of the side effects can be avoided, if you provide all the necessary information to the doctor about your medical history and lifestyle. You must disclose this if you have any chronic allergies, chronic health problems related to stomach or liver, any history of alcohol abuse, any deficiency disease, anemia, etc. If you are taking any other medicines, your doctor should be aware of that. Once your doctor has prescribed you the medicine, do not worry about the side effects and trust your doctor’s judgment.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.