Fad diets were and still are a rage, as they are the easiest ways to lose weight in the shortest time. From the following article, find out why fad diet statistics have gone down for quite some time now!
Fad diets are the best choice when you want to lose lots of weight desperately. You wouldn’t mind staying on liquid for days, eating only one vegetable for weeks and gulping down breakfast cereal like a maniac, all to lose weight. These are the principles of some of the most well-known and often sought after fad diets across the world.
According to the statistics, there is about 68% of American population which is over their ideal body weight and are trying to lose it with the help of these fad diets. These are those diets which are designed for a particular period of time, during which, a specific set of foods are to be consumed. These foods can be either low carb, low fat or detox which change the metabolism of the body to reduce the fat content.
Fad Diet Facts
Today there are many fad diets used as weight loss diets, which are patterned for a specific period of time. They have a particular menu which is advised in specific quantities, so that they fill your stomach and help you lose weight at the same time. Hunger is generated at the satiety center in the brain, and when we are full, you get a feeling of satisfaction. Many a time, these fad diets contain particular foods which have the ability to satisfy our satiety even with lesser amounts, giving us a feeling of fullness.
According to the statistics, there are a few shortlisted diets, which have worked for a number of users, which are;
- Atkins Diet: The Atkins diet is a low carbohydrate diet which was introduced by Robert Atkins. Statistics say that out of the 25 million Americans who practice this diet for a given period of time, 50% succeed to achieve their goals.
- Cabbage Soup Diet: The Cabbage soup diet is also tried by millions of users throughout the world annually but the success rate of this diet is less than 40% because of its side effects.
- Low Fat Diet: The Low fat diet is a harmful diet due to its unhealthy side effects on the body, and thus there are not many Americans who try this diet.
- 3 Day Diet: This diet shows positive results but only after you have followed it regularly. There is no statistical information about this diet.
- South Beach Diet: The South Beach diet is one diet which has worked for a number of dieters in the past and still does, thus the success rates are close to 50%.
- Zone Diet: The zone diet recommends that 40% calories should be obtained from carbohydrates and 60% from fats and proteins which are provided through this diet. Therefore, it is a well-known diet.
- Grapefruit Diet: There are many health problems which are caused due to this diet and thus, the success rate is less than 30% in America.
- The Juice Diet: Similar to the above fruit diet, this one is also with more risks than benefits. They all help lose weight easily but lead to weakness, Hb and energy problems.
- Liquid Diet: The liquid diet (high fiber, low calorie shakes and juices) mainly consists of shakes and juices, which are semi liquids in nature. Though they have required nutrients, they are lesser in amounts. Success rate is about 40% with side effects.
All the above mentioned diets are meant for faster weight loss and are used by a number of people who are obsessed with losing weight. Even though they might work for some who take and follow them seriously till the advised time duration, there are many side effects and negative points related to these diets. Find some interesting facts mentioned below.
- There are two types of weight loss diets which are the fad diets and the crash diets. Crash diets include extreme calorie reduction in the diet plan and promise to reduce weight in 3 to 7 days, whereas, fad diets are not always that short.
- Fad diet statistics show that they always have a claim of dramatic weight loss in short time periods with the reduction of total calorie intake (below 1000 calories).
- There is an elimination of major food groups which provide macro nutrients like fats, sugars, carbs, bread and fruits from the diet plans. Instead of these, there is an inclusion of the protein macro nutrient in the diet.
- In place of normal meals during the advised time periods, these diets suggest the substitution of a single food like Special K diet cereal, grapefruit, cabbage soup, lemon juice, etc. There is also no advise for regular exercises in many of these diets, as there is already less energetic food going in the body.
- There are other diets like the 24 hour diet, 3 day diet and the 7 day diet plan which makes users diet for short time periods and claim to reduce weight but many a time are not true.
- Due to these diets, there are side effects like weakness, indigestion, headaches and sometimes fever is also observed. The reason being, that your body is not used to eating such less amounts suddenly. Since, there is no time for it to adapt itself to the food and time difference, the entire metabolism is disturbed.
Fad diets give good results in very few cases, depending on which diet you are following. Therefore, due to their negative results in many cases, statistics is variable for each diet. If you want to follow these, it is completely by personal choice but you must be aware of the entire diet before you go through it!