Garlic is classified as a food, as well as a medicinal herb. It is known to treat a wide range of diseases. During both, World Wars I and II, it was given to soldiers to prevent gangrene. Though you can use the fresh herb in cooking, there’s also the option of using garlic supplements. This article provides information on the benefits of these supplements.
Since ages, garlic (scientific name: Allium sativum) has been used not only for its culinary purposes but also for the medicinal. The ancient Greeks and Egyptians used this herb to treat many health-related problems. It contains certain extracts that help in fighting the pathogens. Consuming one clove of this herb everyday helps in many ways. Crushing this herb, generates a chemical substance called ‘Allicin’.
Allicin cures most of the health problems and is also responsible for the classic odor of this herb. The generic dietary supplements of this herb are made odorless by aging them, however, this process may reduce the efficiency of its healing properties. It is smart to search for pills which are coated, as they retain the healing properties and avoid the odor by breaking down in the intestinal tract, instead of the stomach.
Benefits of the Supplements
Even though, this herb is often referred to as a wonder drug, and it has several health benefits, people are reluctant to consume it, due to its strong, pungent smell which often leads to bad breath. Hence supplements have been produced, as they are odorless and provide the same benefits. The benefits include:
- This supplement lowers the level of cholesterol in the blood and prevents unhealthy clotting of blood, which in turn keeps the heart healthy. Therefore, people with heart and cholesterol problems, are advised to consume these supplements
- It is good for treating and controlling acne. It is also a good antibiotic, thus reduces the growth of bacteria or any infection caused by bacteria.
- It helps in regulating the blood sugar level in diabetics by increasing the secretion of insulin in the body.
- These supplements are also good for increasing the production of the white blood cells, which results in strengthening the immune system of our body.
- This supplement proves beneficial in suppressing the growth of any kind of tumor in the body. The presence of sulfides in it are good for lowering high blood pressure.
- The nitric oxide synthase present in these supplements is known to treat impotency.
- It is believed that sallylcysteine (a sulfur compound) that is present in it, is good for improving memory and also for reducing the risk of degeneration of frontal lobes of our brain.
- The use of this supplement for weight loss is also a common practice. Though it will not cause all the fat in the body to disappear, it does slow down the production of body fat by breaking down the lipids.
- It treats common colds caused due to allergies, as they are rich in vitamin C.
There are several supplements that are available in the market and people often get confused as to which is the best for them. Make sure that you go through reviews of the supplement so that you know which is good for you. Also, do consult the doctor before starting such supplements.
Disclaimer: This NutriNeat article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.