Flaxseed oil supplements have a wide range of benefits. This article provides some information on the health benefits of the same.
Flaxseed oil is obtained from the seeds of the flax plant. This oil is rich in both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which play an important role in our health. Since ages, the oil and supplements have been used for various health purposes. This oil was used by the ancient Egyptians to heal wounds and infections. This oil is also rich in lignans, which has antioxidant properties.
Omega-3 essential fatty acids, which is present in the oil, as well as the supplements, is required by our body in order to stay healthy and strong. The food that we consume might lack this essential fatty acid. These supplements can provide this fatty acid, thereby lowering the risk of coronary heart problems, cancer, and skin problems like eczema or acne. Its various benefits are as follows:
- It is good for lowering cholesterol, and also keeps the heart in a good condition.
- The oil is known to soothe stomach ulcers, and also lowers the risk of any kind of irritable bowel disorders. This oil helps control and prevent constipation. It can also lowers the risk of gallstones.
- It can also help lower the blood pressure level.
- It is also beneficial for hair growth, and can help get rid of dandruff.
- This oil helps in treating problems like premenstrual syndrome, menstrual cramps, female infertility, pre-menopausal symptoms, etc. It helps regulate the menstrual cycle.
- It has various cancer-preventing properties due to the presence of lignans, which is an antioxidant.
- The supplement is also good for treating skin problems such as sunburn, seborrhea, acne, etc.
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect, and can be used for healing any kind of sprains and bruises.
- People affected by asthma and diabetes can use this oil. Women above the age of 40 years are at a risk of developing a deficiency of calcium, which in turn makes them susceptible to osteoporosis. Taking supplements that contain Omega-3 fatty acids makes up for the loss of calcium.
- This oil is great for weight loss. It stimulates the metabolism of the body, which in turn burns the extra calories. Hence, if one has weight-related issues, this oil can be included in the diet.
- This oil is also good for the brain, and it helps in fighting depression.
It can be consumed by anyone, except pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers. It would be best to take these supplements under medical supervision.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.