The hCG 500 calorie diet, combined with the hCG supplements, indeed has magical weight loss properties. But, some side effects accompany the diet. Read here more about the dangers of hCG 500 calorie diet.
The hCG 500 calorie diet, proposed by British physician Dr. A.T.W Simeons in the late nineties, continues to garner attention, for the quick weight loss it guarantees. This extremely low-calorie diet has to be combined with injections of the hCG drops. hCG or the human chorionic gonadotropin is a kind of hormone, released in women, during pregnancy. It controls the metabolism in these women, to a certain extent. It was found by Dr. Simeons, that the hormone also possesses some properties, that could benefit in weight loss. The use of these injections, along with the specified diet, induces calorie burning. The role of hCG drops here, is to help the patient in keeping the hunger suppressed.
hCG 500 Calorie Diet
People often are inclined to the 500 calorie diet plan, for the quick weight loss it promises. But one should also keep in mind the fact, that the diet is not approved or supported by top medical authority, and has led to many side effects in people using the diet. This is because, the dietitians think that, a daily intake of 500 calories, is just not enough for the body to function properly, and, the use of hCG for weight loss is something not authentic. But the decision to go for this particular diet, depends altogether on the person. Just keep in mind the dangers of hCG diet, which are given below, before you use the diet.
Dangers and Side Effects
- First and foremost danger, 500 calories/day is a very low amount. Just compare it with the daily required amount of calories for a person, it is well below the ideal amount. For a normal person, the daily amount of calories should be well above 1500 calories. I guess you can well imagine the effect 500 calories a day meal plan will have on your body.
- You must be aware of the fact that, there should be an appropriate balance of muscle and fat mass in the body. Any diet should supposedly help in burning the fat mass, which is harmful above a certain level. But, it is believed that the hCG diet cuts down the important muscle mass in the person. And this weight loss is thus not safe.
- Following the hCG diet also leads to many side effects in a person. Loss of concentration, nausea, dizziness, mood swings, and abdominal pain are some of the commonly observed side effects. In women, the use of hCG diet may interfere with the menstrual cycle. It is advised that, the diet should not be followed during pregnancy and menstrual cycle.
- One can also not ignore the fact, that the drops which have to be used along with the diet are not approved by the FDA. The primary use of these hormone drops, is in the treatment of fertility problems in women.
- For long-term weight loss effects, one has to stick to the original hCG diet protocol by Dr. Simeons. One is bound to gain weight later, if the diet is not followed in the desired way.
- The drops which are used along with the diet have caused dangerous side effects like, pregnancy like symptoms (swelling of hands and legs and breast tenderness) in women, and hair loss and prostate enlargement in men.
The Diet Plan
Dr. Simeons had very intelligently designed the hCG 500 calorie diet plan. The foods to be eaten at the time of breakfast, and other meals are very specific. For breakfast one is supposed to have only tea or coffee, and that too, without sugar. For lunch and dinner one can have limited amount of food, and care should be taken that the calorie amount does not exceed 500 calories. The original hCG diet, had foods like celery, fennel, tomatoes, cabbage, spinach, etc. Later, certain modifications were made to this diet, and many recipes, based on this diet, were made. The key for the hCG diet to work is in maintaining the 500 calorie number.
These dangers cannot be ignored, and so medical guidance should be taken before proceeding with the diet. Though the hCG drops are there to help in controlling the hunger pangs, one needs extraordinary will power to sustain the diet for a long time. To go for this diet or not, the decision is yours. Just keep in mind all the dangers, and remember that, the hCG diet is not the only way to lose weight, there are many other ‘safe’ ways available. Stay safe.