What is MSM?
MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is an organic sulfur compound which is also known as methyl sulfone and DMSO2. MSM is very much essential in our diet and can be very beneficial in eliminating several deficiencies and health related problems.
Benefits of Methylsulfonylmethane
Good for the Hair, Skin and Nails:
MSM hits the base when it comes to keeping you healthy, because it can work wonders on your hair, skin and nails. The sulfur content in MSM is very essential for healthy hair, skin, and nails. It works as an anti-aging product, preventing wrinkles, stretch marks, acne and other skin related problems. It forms collagen that helps in maintaining skin elasticity. It prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth, thus making it healthier, lustrous and reducing split ends. It reduces breakage and brittleness and helps in the growth of nails making them stronger.
MSM is considered as a natural solution for pain according to Dr. Stanley W. Jacob and Robert M. Herschler (a research biochemist who holds eleven patents for MSM). Chronic pain can be retrenched, thus relieving chronic fatigue and stress.
Helps with Premenstrual syndrome (PMS):
Mood swings are a common occurrence during PMS, due to which, the efficiency of work reduces. MSM does not only help with period pain, but also helps with depression during PMS, ultimately helping the glands to function properly. As it kills the pain, it can also be very helpful with migraines, headaches, hangovers, leg swelling, cramps, etc.
Helps with Joint Pain and Arthritis:
MSM can work as a magic element when it comes to joint pains and osteoarthritis and other arthritis related problems. It reduces joint pain and increases activity, helps the connective tissues and strengthens the joints. Studies conducted on animals including mice, have supported the benefits of MSM on rheumatoid arthritis.
A Beneficial Macro Supplement:
Macro supplements are those supplements which are required in large amounts by the human body. They balance the nutrient levels in the human body. MSM plays an important role in doing the same, as it is considered as a macro supplement.
Helps with Blood Pressure and Diabetes:
It is safe to take MSM even if you are suffering from diabetes (type 1 and type 2). Monitoring blood sugar level is very essential and it is recommended that MSM is consumed only after consulting your doctor. MSM balances blood flow as it helps in the increment of it. This helps in bringing high blood pressure under control.
Works as an Antidote:
If you have bad burns or grafted skin, muscle related problems or mobility related issues, MSM may be your antidote.
Helps with Constipation:
MSM can also help with constipation and pain caused due to it. It may prove to be helpful with diarrhea and related pains and cramps too.
Helps with Allergies:
It can also relieve you from allergy symptoms and heal wounds effectively. It also possesses detoxifying and antioxidant effects.
- Helps with problems like cholesterol, ulcers, type 2 diabetes, liver related problems, Alzheimer's, lung disorders, pneumonia, breast cancer and colon cancer, HIV infections and obesity.
- Produces body essentials like keratin, collagen and elastin which are essential for the body.
- Consuming vitamin C with MSM helps to strengthen and thicken arteries and veins.
- Helps in the production of insulin and boosts immunity.
- MSM is white in color. It is odorless, tasteless, water-soluble, crystalline solid in its purified form.
- It is present in our daily food and human blood.
- It is rich in sulfur. Sulfur is said to be the sixth most abundant mineral in breast milk and therefore, is recommended for everyone.
- Although MSM is present in various food products, it is present in a very small amount. Food loses its content of MSM while being cooked. Also processing, frying, radiation or pasteurization, adding of synthetic fibers, cooling and long-term storage or preservation diminishes the proportion of MSM present in the food.
- Essential nutrients required for our body are generally not met by our daily diet. Macro supplements are used to meet those requirements. MSM, being a macro supplement, plays a very important role in helping us meet those essential nutrients like sulfur. Amino acids, the building block of protein, have sulfur as their component.
- Although there is insufficient evidence, it is said that MSM helps with problems like snoring, eye swelling, depression, etc.
- It has a very low level of toxicity.
- It should not be taken with Asclenol.
Points to Remember
There may be a few side effects of MSM. You may feel a little nauseated or have an upset stomach. One might also experience bloating, insomnia, diarrhea, fatigue, headache and itching. If you have been taking MSM for over 3 months, without any of the above side effects, it can be marked safe for you.
MSM may not be recommended during pregnancy and breast feeding. One should drink plenty of water while using the supplement.
MSM is present in small quantities in almost all the fruits and vegetables we eat. It is also found in grains, nuts, milk, mustard, chili peppers, garlic, soybeans, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, seeds, eggs and other protein-rich food products. It can be consumed orally or even applied to affected areas on the skin. The good part is, MSM is also found in chocolates and stress relievers like coffee and tea.
As MSM is a macro supplement, our body requires a large amount of it. It is said that an excess consumption of MSM may not be harmful for the body. However, anything in excess is considered to be harmful. Ideally 1500 - 6000 mg per day is consider safe. As per scientific research, if you are suffering from osteoarthritis, you may take about 500 mg, thrice a day, and it may go up to 3 grams twice daily.
MSM is not government approved, yet. Hence, readers are requested to consult their physician before they start supplementary use of the product.