Did you know that Americans sip over 11 billion bowls of soup every year? And, in an American state called Nebraska, it is prohibited by law for bar owners to sell beer unless they are brewing a pot of soup.
One whiff of a savory aromatic soup and appetites come to attention. The steaming fragrance of a tempting soup is a prelude to the goodness to come. An inspired soup puts family and guests in a receptive mood for enjoying the rest of the menu. – Louis P. De Gouy. This is so true isn’t it? The world has always loved soups, and they do have the potential to make a person feel a little better, yes I do mean ‘clinically’ not just ‘psychologically’ or ‘gastronomically’. If you are suffering from cough and cold, try one of these healthy soup recipes and you would feel relieved for sure.
Healthy Miso Soup
- Green onion (thinly sliced), 1
- Firm tofu (cut into ¼ inch cubes), 2 ounces
- Water, 2¼ cups
- Fresh spinach (washed and chopped), ½ cup
- Light miso paste, 1 tablespoon
- Barley miso paste, 2 teaspoons
- Take a medium saucepan and bring the water to a boil.
- Ladle out approximately ½ cup of the boiling water and keep it aside.
- Add the tofu and reduce the heat to medium.
- Now, cover and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then, you can add spinach or bok choy and simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes and cook until the greens are tender.
- Remove the soup from the heat and blend white and barley miso into the reserved hot water.
- Stir into the soup and ladle into bowls, with the garnish of scallion.
- Serve the soup immediately so that everyone can have it hot.
Japanese Onion Soup
- Small onion (chopped), 1
- Celery (chopped), ½ stalk
- Carrot (chopped), ½
- Water, 2 quarts
- Chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms, 1 cup
- Baby portobello mushrooms (sliced), 1 cup
- Chicken stock, 2 tablespoons
- Minced fresh chives, 1 tablespoon
- Beef bouillon granules, 3 teaspoons
- Grated fresh ginger root, 1 teaspoon
- Minced fresh garlic, ¼ teaspoon
- Take a large saucepan or stockpot and mix the celery, onion, carrot, ginger, garlic, along with a few of the mushrooms.
- Now, add chicken stock, beef bouillon, and water, and place the pot over high heat and bring it to a rolling boil.
- When the mixture boils completely, cover it with the lid, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about another 45 minutes.
- Place the remaining mushrooms in another pot. After the mixture has boiled thoroughly, place a strainer over the pot with the mushrooms in it.
- Now, strain the cooked soup into the pot with the mushrooms in it.
- Get rid of the strained materials and serve the broth with mushrooms in small porcelain bowls.
- Sprinkle fresh chives over the top to garnish.
- You can use Asian soup spoons to give an elegant effect.
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Onion (chopped), 1
- Celery stalk (chopped), 1
- Chicken broth, 5 cups
- Fresh sliced mushrooms, 4 cups
- Uncooked white rice, ¼ cup
- Soy sauce, 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take a wok and heat the oil over medium heat, and sauté mushrooms, onion, and celery or carrot in the oil for about 10 minutes.
- Now, add chicken or vegetable stock, rice, and soy sauce to the mixture of mushrooms and celery.
- Bring the whole thing to a boil and simmer for at least an hour.
- Then, take the mushrooms, onion, celery, and rice out of the soup.
- Now, using a blender or food processor, blend the combination until smooth.
- Stir back into the wok and season with salt and pepper and serve the soup hot.
So, do try the above-given delectable soup recipes and treat your friends and family with it. Do share your experiences with us, both good and unpleasant. We shall try and provide the best possible answers to your queries. Happy cooking!