Hemp milk is one of the best discoveries, particularly for vegans, to supplement the nutrients they may be missing out on due to diet restrictions. Find out about its benefits the methods to prepare this nutrition packed drink.
This milk is produced from hemp seeds, and those who have tried it, claim that it is the best non-dairy milk product they have tasted. It is rich, creamy, and has a slight nutty flavor to it, as it is prepared by grinding hemp seeds soaked in water. Moreover, they are also available in different flavors such as vanilla and chocolate. Apart from being suitable for vegans, it is also a great alternative for those who are lactose intolerant. Let’s take a look at the benefits of this wonderful product, and the amount of nutrition it provides.
Hemp milk is packed with proteins, and healthy fats, vitamins, and other nutrients that are required by our body.
- Hemp milk is a great source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, another source of which is fish and fish oil. Omega-3 is extremely helpful in fighting heart disease, while omega-6 helps in keeping inflammatory diseases such as arthritis away. It also helps those with Alzheimer’s disease.
- A glass of hemp milk provides 4-5 grams of protein, which is easier to digest as compared to the protein present in soy milk and other soy products. Proteins help in building healthy muscle mass, and they are perfect for those on a weight loss regime.
- Hemp milk is a natural source of zinc, iron, potassium, magnesium, and manganese. Some brands contain vitamins A and D, and even calcium, but are free from artificial coloring and preservatives. It is also a natural source of antioxidants such as vitamin E, that is helpful with a lot of problems such as those of the skin and hair.
- By consuming this milk, you can be free of allergies caused by other products such as soy, gluten, milk, nuts, and fish, and still get all the nutrition that they provide.
While some people who have tried it, find it safe, doctors don’t recommend it for babies and toddlers because it is relatively new in the market.
For those who are not keen on trying out commercial varieties available in the market, here is a recipe on how to make this nutritious milk at home.
- 1 cup, hemp seeds (shelled)
- 4 cups, water (filtered)
- Blend the hemp seeds with the water in a blender. Strain the milk to remove traces of the seeds, or enjoy it as it is.
- To give it a little flavor, you may add some cocoa powder, vanilla extract, maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon or cardamom, or some honey (agave nectar for vegans). You may even add fruits such as banana and dates, to make it naturally sweet.
Hemp milk can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days, and should be shaken well before drinking.
There is some doubt regarding whether hemp milk can be added to other foods and consumed as regular milk. However, those who have tried, it claim that it is delicious to eat with cereal, or blended into smoothies because of its creamy texture. People have also claimed that hemp milk is not good enough to be heated. It tends to separate when boiled, or poured into a boiling hot cup of tea.
A concern regarding hemp milk is its source. Hemp seeds come from the cannabis sativa plant, and is often confused as a source of marijuana. However, so far, there have been no reports of any symptoms associated with the consumption of marijuana, upon drinking this milk. It can be enjoyed by everyone, as it provides a lot of benefits to the body, hair, skin, and nails. It even aids better brain function.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.