Longan is a tropical fruit that looks very similar to a lychee. It is sweet to taste and can be used in many dessert recipes. The fresh fruit doesn’t contain many calories, although the calories in candied and preserved fruit is more.
Did you know?
The longan fruit is also known as “dragon eye” in Vietnamese or “cats eye” in Malay, because when the outer skin of the fruit is peeled, it resembles an eye.
It is a single seed fruit, and the seed is round, hard, and black in color. The outer shell of the fruit is light brown or tan colored when the fruit has ripened. It is used for culinary purposes in South-East Asian cuisines, particularly Vietnamese cuisine, where the fruit is used in desserts as well as in soups and savory dishes. The fruit is very juicy and has succulent flesh.
Calories in Longan Fruit
- 1 ounce serving of raw, fresh fruit has around 17 calories.
- 1 ounce of dried fruit contains 81 calories.
- Calories present in 1 serving of canned syrup, consisting of approximately seven segments of the fruit are 120.
This fruit is low in calories. However, it also has some other nutritional benefits. Here is a table of various nutrients present in 100 g of raw longan fruit.
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.031 mg|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.14 mg|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||84 mg|
Some other nutrition facts are:
- High in Potassium and Magnesium: The fruit is a rich source of potassium and magnesium. Also, it has a good fiber content.
- Low Sodium Content: It has very less amount of sodium, which makes it an ideal fruit for people affected by high blood pressure.
- Contains Essential Minerals: It contains essential minerals like phosphorus, iron, and copper, which are required by our body for proper functioning.
- High in Vitamin C: The fruit has very high amounts of vitamin C and almost no saturated fats.
- Used to Treat Insomnia: A concoction made with the dried flesh of this fruit is used for the treatment of insomnia.
- High in Antioxidants: The fruit contains antioxidants, which can neutralize the free radicals and protect the cells from aging.
- Used for Curing Stomach Disorders: The fruit has long been used in Chinese medicine for the treatment of various stomach ailments.
The fruit is also used as a remedy for the treatment of stomach ache, dropsy, and amnesia. Hence, it should be consumed seasonally to avail all the benefits.