Beyonce Knowles lost about 20 pounds with the Master Cleanse lemonade diet for her role in the movie Dreamgirls. To know more about this lemonade recipe, that not only helps in weight loss, but also detoxifies the body, read on…
The diet that has taken Hollywood by storm since 2006 is the Master Cleanse lemonade diet which was developed by Stanley Burroughs in 1941. It is also known as the Lemon Cleanse Diet, Lemonade Detox Diet or the Maple Syrup Diet. Stanley Burroughs developed this diet in 1941 as a diet regime aimed at improving overall health by cleansing one’s body of toxins.
However, off late it has become extremely popular as a means of losing weight. Though it was developed a couple of decades back, its popularity soared after Beyonce’s interview at the Oprah Winfrey show about how she lost about 20 pounds in two weeks using the master cleanse Lemonade Diet for her role in the motion picture Dreamgirls. This diet provides enough nutrients to keep one energized and also has all the ingredients required to detoxify the body.
How to Follow
The master cleanse lemonade diet should be carried out for 10 to 14 days. Intake of any form of solid food has to be stopped during this period. One should begin his day drinking laxative tea or a salt water flush that ensures that one passes solid waste even while solid food is not being ingested. The salt water flush should be made by mixing salt with 1 qt. of lukewarm water.
One should drink 6 to 9 glasses of the master cleanse lemonade throughout the day or whenever one feels hungry. Before going to bed, one must drink a cup of herbal laxative tea. Regular exercise while following this diet plan is recommended to facilitate weight loss.
- 8 oz. of purified water
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice (approximately ½ lemon).
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup (grade B)
- 1/10 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Sea salt
- Laxative tea
- Herbal tea
Take a 10 oz. glass and fill it with 4 oz. of purified water. Add the fresh lemon juice to it. If one is using a freshly cut lemon, then squeeze just half of this into the glass, taking care that the pulp and the seeds do not get mixed with the juice (use a lemon squeezer). Add maple syrup and cayenne pepper to the lemonade. Stir the mixture thoroughly. Add the remaining 4 oz. of purified water to the glass. Stir well.
- The most important ingredient and probably the most overlooked one is pure filtered water. Make sure to use only filtered water, as bottled water or water from a local water treatment facility would either be chemically treated, or would not be processed under tight regulations. The best option is to use water from a good filter installed at home.
- The ingredients used in the diet should be organic. Do not use lemon juice from the market as the preservatives used in their packaging removes the nutrients required for this diet. The diet plan is based on the theory that besides being rich in vitamins and minerals like potassium, lemon juice also acts as an astringent. It contracts the tissues that squeeze out the toxins in them. Concentrated lime juice bought from the market is loaded with preservatives and sugar, that nullifies the cleansing effect of the diet.
- Not only does the cayenne pepper add taste to the lemonade, it is also a rich source of Vitamin B and C for the body. It breaks down toxic mucous in the colon and improves blood circulation in the body.
- The maple syrup should not be of the usual variety taken during breakfast. It should strictly be of the grade B variety.
- Ensure that the sea salt is non-iodized or unrefined.
Years of eating unhealthy foods leads to the formation of a toxic mucous that deposits itself to the walls of the colon. This mucous keeps on increasing in thickness as we continue to eat junk food. Besides reducing the diameter of the colon, it also grabs the wastes as they pass through it. By holding the toxins back in our body and hindering elimination of the waste, the mucous leads to problems like fatigue, anxiety, acne, irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive ailments. This diet helps the body get rid of the toxins and relieves an individual of the mentioned ailments.
It is very important to be focused throughout the lemonade diet regime and avoid being tempted to eat solid food. Initially one might feel weakness. However, it will go away in the subsequent days. Although following a proper diet regime is good for the body, it is always advisable to consult one’s physician and check on one’s health before starting with any diet plan. Be sure to introduce food slowly into the system post the diet period recommended, so that the body gradually accepts the reentry of solid food.