Proteins play an important role in maintaining an overall good health. The nutritional facts about whey protein are quite well-known in popular culture. Let us get a brief analysis of this food type.
Proteins perform vital functions in the human body like repairing the body cells, muscles, and bones. It is a good source of energy and controls the metabolism of the human body. They are made up of essential amino acids, and particularly whey protein is a rich source of these. It has an extremely high protein content and is a by-product of cheese.
Milk is made up of two kinds of proteins, viz. casein protein and whey protein. Whey protein powder is considered the most nutritious that is available. The casein is separated from the milk and the remaining liquid is filtered. Whey protein is then purified and concentrated using the ion-exchange process. The process of ion exchange does not alter the natural composition. It is then transferred to a drying tower to make the powder.
Some of its nutritional facts are listed here:
- It is a rich source of protein, and has amino acid content greater than that of milk, egg whites, and even soy milk. It contains both essential and non-essential amino acids. Non-essential amino acids are produced by the human body; while the human body gets the essential amino acids from food. It is a good source of these essential amino acids.
- The protein that the human body requires depends on sex, age, and weight. The physical activity of a person also decides the required intake to a great extent. Whey protein is the best source of essential amino acids for professional athletes. It can be incorporated in the daily diet by them to ensure proper nutrition and to increase their stamina.
- It is a good option for people on a low-carb diet, and is a carbohydrate-free and fat-free substance that is also easily available. The powder (without fat and carbohydrate) is suggested for reducing weight. It is an important ingredient in many weight loss diets (meal replacements). Having a protein-rich diet does not lead to starvation, which usually is seen as a result of taking meal replacement powders.
- Whey protein isolate is the purest form of protein, and has good digestion and absorption rates. Its bioactive constituents like the immunoglobulins and lactoferrins boost the immune system. It has a high biological value, which means that it is absorbed very easily in the human body. Its absorption rate is greater than any available.
- It helps in regulating the secretion of hormones, and is also found to be beneficial for preventing diabetes. It helps in reducing the absorption of carbohydrates, including glucose, in the bloodstream. In this way, it helps reduce the chances of diabetes. It also facilitates the secretion of insulin in the human body.
- Osteoporosis is a disorder caused due to deficiency of calcium. In osteoporosis, the bones in the human body become fragile and porous. Whey protein encourages bone growth, and thus, helps prevent osteoporosis.
- Free radicals are harmful by-products of the oxidation process of the human cells. These free radicals affect the immune system to a great extent. Antioxidants act as scavengers for these free radicals produced. Whey protein provides glutathione, which is a powerful antioxidant. Glutathione helps to protect the cells and neutralize the toxins in the human body.
Lastly, it does not have a specific taste of its own, so if you add it to your food, it does not change the taste of the food. Its nutritional facts prove that it is the key to healthy living.