Oat groats are whole and minimally processed oats. Since they are not extensively processed, they retain their nutritional value. Hence, they have become more popular these days compared to regular ones. This article provides you some simple ways on how to cook them.
Oat groats are nothing but hulled whole oats. They are one of the best and healthiest foods for breakfast, that help you prevent hunger pangs till lunchtime. They are said to be a superb source of whole grains and soluble fiber. They help in reducing cholesterol levels in the body the risk of heart diseases. They are quite beneficial to gluten intolerant people. Gluten-free oats are certified by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization, hence, you should take a look at the label before buying the product.
Oat groats are sweet compared to other grains and have a moist, chewy texture. They can be used as an entrée or in a casserole, stir fry, or soup. You could also try using them when making cookies.
- Oat groats, 1 cup
- Water, 1¼ cups
- Sea salt, ¼ teaspoon
- Unsalted butter, ½ tablespoon
- Walnuts (chopped), ¼ cup
- In a dry frying pan, toast the groats over medium heat till they are one shade darker.
- In a saucepan, put the salt and unsalted butter in water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the oats, cover the saucepan, and let them cook for about 45 minutes on low heat, till the water is absorbed completely and the oats are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand aside for about 10-12 minutes with the lid on.
- Fluff the oats with a fork, garnish them with walnuts, and serve hot.
With Chicken Soup
- Uncooked oat groats, 1 cup
- Olive oil, 1 tablespoon
- Chopped onion, 1½ cups
- Chopped celery, 1 cup
- Chopped carrot, ¾ cup
- Diced zucchini, 1 cup
- Minced garlic cloves, 2
- Chicken broth, 4 cups
- Chopped skinless, boneless chicken breast, 2 cups
- Green beans, 1 cup
- Chopped fresh thyme, 2 teaspoons
- Diced tomatoes, 1 can
- Thawed green peas, 1 cup
- Fresh chopped basil, 2 tablespoons
- In a large saucepan, put the oats in the water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let them cook until tender.
- In another pan, heat the olive oil and add the chopped onions, celery, and carrots; sauté for about 8 minutes till they are tender.
- Add the zucchini and the garlic cloves and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked oats, chicken broth, chicken breast, green beans, thyme, and the tomatoes to the pan, bring it to a boil; let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and the basil at the end, stir and serve the soup hot.
In a Crock-Pot
- Whole oat groats, 1½ cups
- Water, 6½ cups
- Salt, 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon stick, 1
- Combine all the ingredients in a Crock-Pot.
- Let them cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and serve.
- You can also add vegetables of your choice to this recipe.