Coconut oil comes in different varieties. One such variety is the organic unrefined coconut oil, which is the crude form that is unfiltered, unrefined and minus any additives. Let’s take a look at the many advantages of this oil…
Organic unrefined coconut oil, also known as pure or organic coconut oil, is made from the meat or kernel of the coconut and is crude and unrefined. There are many health benefits of this oil, since it is rich in lauric acid and contains more nutrients than refined coconut oil. Using unrefined oil helps in combating diseases caused by fungus and bacteria.
This oil is obtained without filtering or adding any additives. Though refined oil does not have any impurities, organic and unrefined coconut oil is much better because of its various health benefits. Unrefined oil does not contain saturated fats, thus, making it beneficial to the human body. This oil has a longer shelf life (approximately one year), than refined coconut oil and can be stored at room temperature without the fear of it getting rancid.
People who use coconut oil for cooking, especially, people from the Philippines and other Asian countries like India, Sri Lanka and Burma, have shown the following benefits of using this oil.
- Unrefined organic coconut oil is rich in antioxidants that slows down the process of aging. People using this oil tend to look younger as compared to the people who use other kinds of oils.
- It is not hydrogenated like other oils and contains triglycerides, that help in improving the level of good cholesterol in the blood.
- The oil has antimicrobial properties which helps in boosting the immunity system of the body and acts as a shield in fighting against germs, virus and other pathogens.
- It is also a great way to reduce weight. as it does not contain LDL (low density lipoprotein) or ‘bad cholesterol’ (which is the main culprit of weight gain) and controls the growth of bad cholesterol, if present in the body.
- Applying organic coconut oil to the skin, helps in preventing pimples, soothes chapped skin and improves healthy skin cell growth. It also makes the skin glow since it is rich in wholesome vitamin E.
- Unrefined organic coconut oil acts as a great conditioner for the hair. It can be used as a hot oil treatment to massage your scalp. Using the oil for hair growth, helps in making the hair grow lustrous and long.
- Using it in your diet regimen boosts the metabolism of the body and provides energy. It also helps in reducing stress and has a soothing effect on the brain.
- People who include coconut oil in their diet are less affected by diseases like cancers, heart diseases, digestive problems, ulcers, etc. It can also relieve the pain caused due to colitis or appendicitis.
Though there are many beneficial uses of coconut oil, it also has some drawbacks. Given below are some disadvantages of this oil.
- Since, this oil is crude and unrefined, it contains certain contaminants and hence, is unsuitable for internal use.
- It is more expensive than refined oil because of its less availability in the market.
- As it may contain certain impurities and dust particles, it is not suited for therapeutic uses.
Organic unrefined coconut oil can be a part of your pantry, as it enhances the flavor and aroma of the food. It has a low smoke point, which means that the oil will not get heated quickly while cooking and ruin the food.