Papaya; the fruit of the angels. Learn about some papaya fruit nutrition facts and its health benefits from the following article…
Ever since we were kids, our mothers and even the doctors kept telling us to eat fresh fruits on a regular basis. Well, papaya is one of these fruits. This fruit looks like a pear, has green skin on the outside (when raw) and orange skin on the outside (when ripe), and bright, rich orange color on the inside with pink or yellow hues. The fruit is soft and has a buttery consistency, tasting sweet with a slight musky hint to it. You can find this fruit in markets all yearlong, but in the beginning of summer and fall, you’ll find them in abundance. We’ve already established the fact that papayas are beneficial to us, but we haven’t discussed exactly how they affect our health? Let’s find out about the exact papaya fruit nutrition facts and health benefits from the rest of the article.
Nutritional and Health Benefits
|Nutrients in Raw Papaya|
|Nutrients||100 g||140 g||380 g|
|Total Fat||0 g||0 g||1 g|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 mg||0 mg|
|Sodium||3 mg||4 mg||11 mg|
|Carbs||10 g||14 g||37 g|
|Sugars||6 g||8 g||22 g|
|Protein||1 g||1 g||2 g|
|Vitamin A||22 %||31 %||83 %|
|Vitamin C||103 %||144 %||391 %|
|Calcium||2 %||3 %||9 %|
|Iron||1 %||1 %||2 %|
The enzymes, papain and chymopapain, are present in the papaya and they aid in exchanging the proteins which are consumed by the body into amino acids. So in order to avail these enzymes, you need to be very careful as you peel the skin off the fruit as one of the enzymes, papain is close to the skin and can be removed by mistake. Apart from these enzymes, let’s see what other health benefits can be availed from this fruit.
• You can find more vitamin C in papayas than oranges. Also, papayas are rich sources of calcium, iron, vitamin A and E, riboflavin, and carotene. All these nutrients help keep us strong, healthy, increase metabolism, and decrease the aging process.
• If someone has digestive issues or constipation, eating fresh papaya can aid in normal bowel movements.
• The fruit has antioxidants as well which aids in preventing strokes, lowers cholesterol level, diabetes, and other heart diseases.
• Papayas are consumed to improve and strengthen the immune system. It also contains anti-inflammatory contents which can help in reducing pain caused by osteoarthritis, arthritis, and edema.
• After childbirth, it is considered that the consuming papaya can help in inducing lactation. Also, the leaves and flowers of this fruit can be used for controlling the menstrual flow.
• And let’s not forget about the seeds. As it turns out, the seeds can help in protecting against infection from salmonella and E. coli bacteria. Also, it helps in reducing staph and ringworm infections.
And now, we will move on to the different uses of the amazing fruits which people are following all across the world. A papaya can’t be preserved as it perishes within a few days. Hence, eating the fruit when it’s fresh and ripe is ideal. And with this practice, you will gain the maximum nutrients this fruit has to offer.
Uses of a Papaya
Apart from eating the fruit for its nutritional value, this fruit can be used in various other forms. Some of the most common uses of papaya are…
• Applied topically over cuts, burns, insect stings, and rashes.
• Included as an active ingredient for various ointments.
• For tenderizing meat and other proteins.
• The fruit is used directly over the skin to control acne.
• Sold as tablets to help cure digestive issues like constipation.
• The fruit is used as a hair conditioner to prevent dandruff.
• Raw and cooked green papaya is used in Asian cooking.
• The seeds of the fruit are also edible; often substituted for black pepper in Asian cooking.
With all these wonderful uses and beneficial nutrition, many people are opting to consume papaya on a regular basis. You too can eat or make juice from the ripe papaya without its skin and seeds or choose to cook different recipes with the unripe, green papayas as well. So while grocery shopping, choose a papaya which has no cuts or bruises over the skin as it is most fresh at this stage.