China is the world’s largest producer of plum. Due to the epicuticular wax coating on the mature fruit, it is also referred to as a ‘wax bloom’. This article provides information on the nutritional value and benefits of this fruit.
Plums are round and fleshy fruits that belong to the Prunus family. They are said to be relatives of cherries, nectarines, almond, and peaches. Native to the continent of Asia, these fruits are found in almost all the countries of the world. These are available in more than a thousand varieties, in a range of colors like red, bluish black, amber, and purple. These can be enjoyed in fruit salads, juices, and in some recipes. Prunes, which are sun-dried form of this fruit, are equally delectable.
They can be eaten fresh or as prunes. A single serving of this fruit (i.e., 100 g) has approximately 36.30 calories. Its nutrition value is listed below:
|Nutrients||Value per 100g|
|Dietary fiber||0.99 g|
|Insoluble fiber||0.45 g|
|Vitamin A||126.75 mcg|
|Vitamin C||6.30 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.55 mg|
|Omega 6 fatty acids||0.10 g|
Research, suggests that this fruit is a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals. Some of its nutritional benefits are given below:
- It is a rich source of antioxidants. Antioxidants keep the health disorders and infections at bay. Chlorogenic and neochlorogenic acid in this fruit helps fight against the free radicals in the body.
- They enhance the absorption of iron, which in turn triggers the production of hemoglobin in the blood, and prevents occurrence of anemia.
- High concentration of vitamin C in prunes facilitates immunity against the degenerative diseases like rheumatoid arthritis (RA), asthma, and colon cancer.
- Plums, both fresh and dried, contain blood purifiers which protect from cardiovascular diseases like atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries due to the presence of plaque), clogged blood vessels, and heart attacks.
- They also prevent the damage of neurons by forming a protective sheath around them.
- They also improve vision, if consumed daily and lower the risk of eye infections and macular degeneration.
- This fruit is considered to be a rich source of insoluble fibers. These fibers help in treating digestive system disorders such as constipation, indigestion, and diarrhea.
- It has also proved beneficial in maintenance of glucose level in the blood and weight loss.
Consuming this fruit will certainly help rejuvenate and refresh the body.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.