With a look into the nutritional information regarding quick oats and the health benefits it provides, you will understand why these have always made it to your breakfast table every morning.
Quick oats are usually what we prepare and enjoy for a regular morning breakfast. Of course, there are instant varieties that cook even quicker, but these have flavorful additives that add to the empty calories one may be consuming. Quick oats are a little more nutritious than these and cook in about 5-7 minutes. These are oats processed to make thin flakes of oatmeal so that they can cook easily. In any case, whatever form of oats you consume, understand that you are receiving adequate nutrition from them. Be it quick oats, oat groats, or rolled oats, there is a substantial amount of health benefits you will receive from consuming this wonder food called oats. Here’s a look into the nutritional benefits provided by quick oats.
Nutritional Information of Quick Oats
Given below is the nutritional information for one cup of quick oats (234g) that have been cooked in water without any additives.
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Selenium||12.6 mcg (micrograms)|
As has been mentioned earlier, consuming quick oats on a regular basis provides you with a lot of health benefits, all of which have been enlisted here.
- Lowers Cholesterol and Prevents Heart Disease: Consuming oats on a regular basis will help lower cholesterol levels that are high and can help reduce the risk of developing subsequent heart problems. Further, oats also prevent arteriosclerosis, a condition involving the buildup of plaque in the arteries thereby restricting blood flow to and from the heart.
- Strengthens Immune System and Increases Resistance to Infection: With selenium present in oats in a suitable amount, it functions as a powerful antioxidant that helps keep the body relatively disease free and maintains good health. Strong antioxidant properties also means that the occurrences of infections will be lower.
- Keeps the Body Energized: With the high amount of fiber present in oats, you will definitely feel stronger and energized upon consuming them regularly. Also, the high amount of fiber keeps the body free of toxins and aids those suffering from constipation.
- Regulates Blood Sugar Levels: Diabetics are usually given a breakfast of oats regularly in order to help stabilize their blood sugar levels. With oats being a form of complex carbohydrates, glucose is slowly released into the system, thereby regulating the blood sugar levels. This benefit of oats also includes its ability to delay the onset of or completely prevent the development of diabetes.
- May Reduce the Risk of Developing Breast Cancer: Recent studies have shown that a rich source of fiber and antioxidants such as oats has the ability to keep breast cancer at bay. However, further research is yet to be conducted on this benefit of oats.
Preparing and Enjoying Quick Oats
With all the aforementioned health benefits, you simply cannot scowl at the sight of the bowl of oats you are asked to eat every morning. In fact, try and think of ways in which you can enhance the flavor of your bowl of oats so that you enjoy it thoroughly. Here are some ideas you can take a look at.
- Once your quick oats are prepared, add to them a glass of hot milk, a dash of ground cinnamon, a teaspoon of honey, and a dash of ground cardamom. You will definitely relish these delicious flavors.
- Pour a glass of milk on the oats, and add to it dried fruits such as raisins, apricots, peaches, and figs. Also add a few nuts such as almonds, walnuts, and pecans. A bowl of pure nutrition is what you will get with delicious flavors too.
- Enjoy a bowl of quick oats with some fresh fruits such as an assortment of berries (blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries), bananas, fresh peaches, grapes, apples, or any other fruit you like. As long as it increases the flavors of your dish, you can add to it anything you like.
With all the nutrition facts, benefits, and methods of preparation mentioned above, there is no reason why this wonder food should not be included in your diet. Experts suggest consuming 3-5 bowls of oats in a week to get a substantial amount of health benefits from these. Try different varieties of oats such as steel cut oats, oat bran, or any other type to figure which one you like, along with variations in the additions to it, so that you can thoroughly enjoy your bowl of oats.