Drinking freshly-extracted sugarcane juice can be very refreshing on a hot summer day. Raw sugarcane juice or one in which some additional flavorings are added like lemon juice, rock salt, or mint leaves, etc., is relished and consumed by scores of people across the globe.
Sugarcane is cultivated and relished in over 200 countries across the globe, with Brazil being the largest producer of sugarcane and India being the second largest. Members of the grass family, sugarcane has a stout, fibrous, jointed stalk that measures around 2-6 meters tall and is imbibed with ample amounts of sugar.
These stalks are crushed either by hand-powered presses, roller drums, or machines designed to crush sugarcane. The juice obtained after crushing is sweet, delectable, and refreshing, and is sold fresh or bottled and then sold in grocery stores. The juice tastes sweeter than orange juice and is mostly had without any additions. However, some vendors do tend to add lime juice, mint leaves, ginger, etc., into the juice to enhance its flavor.
Sugarcane Nutritional Value
The juice from crushed canes not only pacify the palate, but also strengthen the body by providing various essential nutrients.
Sugarcane Juice Benefits
Sugarcane juice is known as a high energy drink, with essential nutrients that benefit the body in different ways.
- Helps keep the urinary flow clear and enables smooth functioning of the kidneys.
- Consuming this juice is good for the teeth as it prevents tooth decay.
- Due to the high potassium content in this juice, the juice acts as a mild laxative. Moreover, it also helps in good digestion.
- Sugarcane juice hydrates the body quickly when exposed to prolonged physical activity or high temperature conditions.
- The high carbohydrate content helps refresh and energize the body instantly. The glucose furnished to the body via consumption of the juice, gets stored in the muscles and then burned to provide instant energy to the body.
- It can cure sore throats, colds, and flu.
- The low glycemic index keeps one’s body healthy and fit.
- The juice is alkaline in nature, thus, it is helpful in fighting prostate and breast cancer.
- It is sweet, refreshing, and is a wonderful substitute for aerated drinks. This helps the body from gaining unnecessary calories.
- During jaundice, the liver capacity weakens to a great extent. Drinking sugarcane juice strengthens the liver.
- Having a concoction of sugar cane juice, coconut water, and ginger juice helps micturition, caused by hyperacidity.
The normal sugarcane juice available in the stores can trigger allergic reactions in many. This is why it is advised to purchase the evaporated sugar cane juice. Even in this evaporated juice category, there are different varieties. Choose the one which pacifies your palate. For storage, store the juice in air-tight containers and keep it in a cool, dry place, where it will remain in good condition for a long period of time.
Sugarcane extractors are available to obtain the juice easily. However, if you are not in the business of selling sugarcane juice, you need a household model of sugarcane extractor. There are different kinds of sugarcane extractors available in the market. Some have built-in waste bins, while some are the tabletop types. Depending on your need, choose the best extractor or else go to the juice center and have a nice, big glass of refreshing sugarcane juice.
Sugarcane juice has been satisfying thirsty palates for centuries together. Since it is inexpensive, it is called an ‘all people’s drink’. Moreover, it’s healthy and delightful!
Disclaimer: This NutriNeat article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.