If you love the sweet and sour taste of tangerines, but are worried that you are consuming calories, fear no more. This article provides the data on the calories in tangerines (which are minimal) and some information about all the other health benefits that it has to provide.
Tangerines are citrus fruits that are similar to oranges in a numerous ways. They are in fact, a variety of Mandarin oranges. However, there are still certain differences between tangerines and oranges in that tangerines are definitely tastier than oranges, and are easier to peel, split, and eat. They are less sour than the regular oranges. In appearance, they are orange in color, and have a pebbly skin, however, the grooves on the skin are not deep. In each segment are contained seeds, that vary in number among each segment. They are eaten just like oranges, freshly peeled and out of hand. Moreover, these are common ingredients in a variety of recipes, ranging from salads to main dishes to desserts. They are rich in nutritional value, and have a great amount of nutrients that are beneficial for the body.
Here is a look at this table that clearly mentions the calories in a small tangerine, along with those in a medium and large tangerine. Also mentioned are the other valuable nutrients in this delicious fruit.
|Nutrients||1 Small Tangerine (76 g)||1 Medium Tangerine (88 g)||1 Large Tangerine (120 g)|
|Water||64.7 g||74.9 g||102 g|
|Carbohydrates||10.1 g||13.3 g||16.0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.4 g||1.8 g||2.2 g|
|Fats||0.2 g||0.3 g||0.4 g|
|Proteins||0.6 g||0.8 g||1.0 g|
|Vitamin A||518 IU||681 IU||817 IU|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.3 mg||0.4 mg||0.5 mg|
|Folate||12.2 mcg||16.0 mcg||19.2 mcg|
|Vitamin C||20.3 mg||26.7 g||32.0 mg|
|Calcium||28.1 mg||37.0 mg||44.4 mg|
|Magnesium||9.1 mg||12.0 mg||14.4 mg|
|Phosphorus||15.2 mg||20.0 mg||24.0 mg|
|Potassium||126 mg||166 mg||199 mg|
Note that tangerines are extremely rich sources of vitamin C and dietary fiber. They are also rich in antioxidants that protect the body from several diseases.
With all their nutrients, consuming tangerines is bound to have a certain number of health benefits:
- They have the capacity to purify the blood. They clear the body of harmful toxins and other unwanted substances such as excess sodium, water, and uric acid. They are thus great for those who are affected by water retention. Moreover, they help in retaining oxygen in the body, aiding several activities in a healthy manner, which make them great as natural blood purifiers.
- They are rich in fiber, that makes them great for gastrointestinal activities. They maintain digestive health by aiding the flow of digestive juices, and maintaining the right balance with the production of stomach acids and bile. They also help in the absorption of essential nutrients from other foods that have been consumed. Lastly, they have the ability to cure stomach inflammations and infections.
- They regulate the secretion of hormones and enzymes in the body, and maintain their functions.
- With the large amounts of vitamin C, they have the ability to keep the immune system healthy, and fight all infections. They thus make you healthier, more alert, and fit. Vitamin C is also known to be great for healthy gums and helps in preventing gum disease.
- Those who experience respiratory or digestive spasms will find relief upon consuming tangerines, because they have a soothing effect on the nervous system and have the ability to reduce the pain that is caused by these spasms.
- Essential oils have been extracted from this fruit and have been used in aromatherapy as remedies to bust stress, reduce depression, and induce sleep. Though its aroma is fragrant and refreshing, and has the ability to boost energy levels, when used as an essential oil, it also has sedative properties.
Enjoy this tangy and refreshing fruit as much as you like, without worrying about its calories, and see the difference it makes to your health. Just remember, canned tangerines are unhealthy as they have been sweetened, and will not be as beneficial and healthy as fresh tangerines. They will also be much higher in the number of calories.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.