The calories in tart cherry juice is low and we have provided the nutritional information in this article. The health benefits have also been explained for your information. Read on…
Unlike the sweet cherries, tart cherries (Prunus cerasus) have a sour taste and the fruits are mainly grown in Asia and Europe. The dark red colored cherries are known as morello while the lighter ones are popular as amarelle. The juice has ample health benefits and it is also used for flavoring pies, cakes, pastries, etc.
Being devoid of fats and containing very less amount of sugars (as compared to sweet cherries), the juice could be safely consumed regularly. It is capable of improving health of arthritis patients and people suffering from pain in different parts of the body. The table below provides important tart cherry juice nutritional information.
|Quantity – 1.2 fl oz|
|Vitamins – 1.0 fl oz|
|Vitamin D||> 3 IU|
|Vitamin K||> 2 mcg|
|Minerals – 1.0 fl oz|
Tart Cherry Juice Nutrition Facts:
- From the aforementioned table, you can see that tart cherry juice is completely devoid of cholesterol and fats. It’s an excellent health supplement for people suffering from heart problems and blocked arteries. Doctors also say that regular consumption of tart cherry juice in moderate amount eliminates risks of strokes and heart attacks.
- The sugar and carbohydrates content is much less than its sweet counterpart. This is why it is considered to be a moderately safe health drink for diabetics and overweight people. The unique blend of the essential ingredients reduce its calories, thereby making it an excellent health drink.
- The juice concentrate is rich in melatonin, a hormone that induces sleep. People suffering from stress and depression can have the juice before going to bed for getting normal sleep. External supplements of tart cherry juice is often recommended by doctors to people suffering from sleep disorders.
- The phenolic compounds present in tart cherries detoxify body from toxic gases and free radicals. The dark color of the juice is due to the presence of large amounts of anthocyanins. This compound helps in blocking the pathway of enzymes that produce the substances (prostaglandins) capable of causing inflammation to our body. For this reason, you can have this juice if you are suffering regularly from back pain, muscular cramps.
- The antioxidant property of tart cherry juice also prevents occurrence of cardiovascular disorders and cancer. It is capable of healing inflammation in joints like gout, arthritis, cramps, etc. The function and properties of joints are considerably improved on consuming a specific dose of tart cherry juice.
- Although the clarified juice is devoid of fibers, if you consume the pulp along with, then you will receive a substantial amount of fibers in your body. It’s rich in fibers and the thick smoothie is good for constipation problems. The pulp mixed juice is also beneficial for those suffering from high blood glucose and high blood pressure.
- It’s one of those rare fruit juice that contains vitamin K and vitamin D. It also contains moderate amount of calcium and potassium which are essential components of bones. Iron, folic acid, vitamin A and vitamin B are also present in very small quantity that make the juice nutritious enough. All these components contribute to the health benefits of tart cherry juice.
*Note: You should consult your doctor before having tart cherry juice, if your blood glucose level is very high.
You derive the nutrients in the best way when you consume the juice made from fresh tart cherries. Make sure that the product is devoid of artificial sweeteners while purchasing a concentrate. Store it inside a refrigerator and consume it before expiry. Dilute the concentrate and follow your doctor’s advise before incorporating this in your diet.