The most delicious part of the vegetable artichoke is what is known as the artichoke heart. This article gives you the nutritional facts of this vegetable.
An endemic species of the flora of the Mediterranean region, artichoke is known as a perennial thistle. This vegetable is a power house of 16 nutrients that are essential for health. The main nutrients which you can find loaded in it are magnesium, chromium, manganese, potassium, phosphorous, iron, calcium, fiber, Vitamin C, and folate.
When the artichoke is peeled off its hard outer petals, you will be able to find the heart, which is the most delicious part of the vegetable, and loaded with all these nutrients mentioned above. With no fat or cholesterol, this vegetable is low in calories and sodium, and high in fiber. With all such great features, what more do you need.
Here is a table presenting the values of the nutrients contained in artichoke hearts. The values have been calculated according to a serving size of 128 g. And the values in percentage are according to a 2000 calorie diet.
|Sodium||120 mg (5%)|
|Total carbohydrate||13 g (4%)|
|Dietary fiber||7 g (28%)|
|Vitamin A||16.6 IU (0%)|
|Vitamin C||15 mg (25%)|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)||0.1 mg (6%)|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg (5%)|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||1.3 mg (7%)|
|Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)||0.1 mg (7%)|
|Vitamin B9 (Folate)||87 mcg (22%)|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.4 mg (4%)|
|Calcium||56.3 mg (6%)|
|Iron||1.6 mg (9%)|
|Magnesium||76.8 mg (19%)|
|Phosphorous||115 mg (12%)|
|Zinc||0.6 mg (4%)|
|Copper||0.3 mg (15 %)|
|Manganese||0.3 mg (16%)|
|Potassium||474 mg (14%)|
|Selenium||1.9 mcg (3%)|
Calories: For a serving size of 128 g, the count is 60.
Health Benefits of Artichoke Hearts
- As you have read in the above description, the vegetable is low in fat, and high in fiber. So, this makes it an ideal choice for people suffering from heart related conditions. It is also known to prevent certain types of cancer, and congenital defects.
- A diet that includes artichokes heart, helps in improving the metabolism activity of the body. This is due to the manganese content of the vegetable. Manganese, as you must be aware, boosts the function of the thyroid gland.
- If you are high-cholesterol stricken, then include artichoke heart as a regular part of your diet. There is no doubt against the fact that your cholesterol will dramatically decrease within some time.
- The vegetable contains a certain chemical, which is known to add to the liver’s production of bile. This, in turn, lowers the quantity of fat that is absorbed in the blood.
- This folate-rich vegetable helps in the prevention of cancer, and aids to the development of the fetus during pregnancy.
- The carbohydrate content of an artichoke heart acts as insulin; a substance that is helpful in stabilizing the blood sugar levels, thus improving the symptoms of diabetes.
- The vegetable is loaded with antioxidants. In fact, their antioxidant content surpasses that of blueberries, red wine, and chocolate. And this is why, they are not only good for the hearts, but also for the skin and many other functions of the body.
- Extracts of the vegetable has been known to improve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Apart from helping the liver to produce more bile, artichoke hearts also make up for a liver cleansing diet, that frees this organ of most impurities.
Now all you have to do is begin a heart-healthy diet with these green, nutrient-loaded hearts, and feel the improvement in your physical and mental being. Take care!