Zinc supplements are usually used to treat zinc deficiency. Here is a detailed list of other benefits of these supplements.
All types of vitamins and minerals are required by the human body in order to carry out different functions. Every vitamin and mineral performs a specific function, which altogether helps in having a healthy body. Zinc is also one such mineral which is required by the human body for carrying out different functions. However, if one does not get sufficient amounts of zinc from food sources, he suffers from zinc deficiency. Zinc supplements are usually prescribed to people who suffer from zinc deficiency. However, they can also be prescribed to people for boosting their overall health. Let us take a look at the uses in detail.
Zinc Supplement Health Benefits
Zinc in naturally available in various foodstuffs like pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, lamb loin, veal liver, beef tenderloin, oysters, etc. However, having zinc supplements can be beneficial if you wish to improve the overall health. The following is a list of its benefits:
- Zinc supplements, as aforementioned, are prescribed to treat the symptoms of zinc deficiency. Symptoms such as chronic fatigue, diarrhea, fertility problems in men and women, insulin resistance, etc., can be treated by these supplements.
- Zinc deficiency also leads to loss of taste and smell which can also be treated and prevented by having zinc supplements.
- One of the most important uses or health benefits of zinc supplement is that it helps in improving one’s immunity. People suffering from zinc deficiency are found to suffer from frequent infections and diseases related to the immune system. This can be prevented to a great extent by having regular doses of zinc supplements.
- If you are suffering from cold or viral infections, you may be advised to have lozenges and pills containing zinc. This is because zinc contains properties that help in fighting off cold infections.
- Zinc supplements are specifically useful for improving male reproductive health. The supplements help in regulation of testosterone metabolism and also aid in boosting libido. Secondly, zinc supplements are also prescribed to men who have a difficulty in maintaining a normal sperm count.
- Healing of wounds is another major benefit of zinc supplements. Specifically, it has been found that zinc supplements help in healing the erosion caused due to gastric ulcers. Secondly, wounds on the skin can also be healed quickly by using zinc supplements.
- Another prominent function of zinc is that it aids cell growth and hence, is essential for the overall growth and development of the body. Children suffering from delayed growth are advised to have zinc supplements for proper development.
- Similarly, zinc supplements are also required in other metabolic activities like production of insulin, lowering blood pressure, restoring night vision, etc.
- Lastly, another common use of zinc supplement is that it helps in treatment of diarrhea.
Although there are numerous health benefits of zinc supplements, it should be noted that the supplements should be taken in prescribed amount and only for prescribed period. You should consult the doctor to know about the proper zinc supplement dosage and have it only in those amounts. Similar to other vitamin and mineral supplements, too much of zinc in the body can lead to side effects. It can also have an adverse effect on the immune system. Zinc is also found to interfere with the absorption of other minerals in the body. Therefore, owing to all these factors, it is wise to use these supplements only after consulting the doctor.
However, it should be noted that supplements of any mineral are only used if the person suffers from deficiency. In normal cases, having a balanced diet, consisting of foods containing vitamins and minerals, can be adequate to fulfill the daily requirement of any vitamin and mineral. Take care!