A smaller variety of the common garden tomato, cherry tomatoes can be used in various recipes. The following article provides information about their nutritional value, as well as calories in cherry tomatoes.
Tomatoes are one of those species of fruits which undergo rapid ripening during summer. With an attempt to deal with the issue of rapid ripening, two scientists named Prof. Haim Rabinowitch and Prof. Nachum Kedar, developed a cultivar of tomatoes, and named the species as cherry tomatoes. These genetically-modified products can be as small as a fingertip to as big as a golf ball. The “Sweet 100” and “Gardener’s Delight” are known to be the most popular varieties in the United States and British, respectively. These are often used in salads and a variety of appetizers.
To cut the long story short, the calorie count of cherry tomatoes is 20, for a serving size of 85 g. Now let us move on to the basic nutrition facts of these tomatoes, which would be followed by their health benefits. The nutritional values are based on a 2000-calorie diet and for the serving size of 85 g.
|Sodium||10 mg (0%)|
|Total carbohydrate||4.0 g (1%)|
|Dietary fiber||1.0 g (4%)|
|Vitamin A||500 IU 10%|
|Vitamin C||9 mg (15%)|
|Iron||0.36 mg (2%)|
|Pantothenic acid||0.204 mg|
- Being rich in antioxidants, these help boost the immune system. These fruits contain a carotenoid called lycopene. Extensive research studies are still underway to investigate the property of this antioxidant to prevent cancer. Apart from this, it also helps keep the heart in a good condition.
- It is believed that people who include these tomatoes in their diet are less likely to develop colon problems.
- It is also believed that men who consume these fruits are less likely to develop prostate cancer and other problems associated with this gland.
- Moreover, these tomatoes help prevent and treat anemia, and also lower cholesterol levels.
- Migraines are reduced to some extent, and so are symptoms of inflammation, stress, and high blood sugar.
- The consumption of this variety of tomatoes is believed to strengthen bones, and slow down the process of aging to some extent, which is why, people who love tomatoes might be blessed with a healthier and clearer skin.
It is believed that the symptoms of liver diseases and gallstones might be alleviated to some extent by including cherry tomatoes to one’s diet.