Most people know that the fat obtained from olive oil is healthy fat; but they are worried about the calories in extra virgin olive oil. What is the difference between plain olive oil and extra virgin olive oil? This article presents information on extra virgin olive oil nutrition facts and health benefits. If you are interested in maintaining your weight, read on to know about olive oil calories…
Olive oil exhibits several medicinal properties and offers numerous health benefits. Olive oil helps strengthen the hair, improves skin texture and prevents an outburst of acne. Different types of olive oil are available in the market. Olive oil is a popular ingredient of soaps, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and it is commonly used for cooking. ‘Virgin olive oil’ is considered to be better than plain ‘olive oil’ or even ‘pure olive oil’. Olive oil is an invariable part of Mediterranean life, as olive is a traditional crop of the Mediterranean nations. Here follows the information on what is extra virgin olive oil.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The oil obtained from the first press is known as extra virgin olive oil. Since the oil is exposed to minimum chemical processes, it offers maximum health benefits. The shelf life and flavor of the oil depend upon the fruit quality and method of production. The best quality extra virgin olive oil from Italy, Spain, and Greece are certainly expensive; but they are known for their unique flavor, aroma, taste and health benefits. The International Olive Oil Council (IOOC) checks the standard of the olive oil produced in various parts of the world. The extra virgin olive oil is loaded with antioxidants that help cancel the effects of free radicals on the body and help prevent various diseases, including cancers. It is the best olive oil as it is not refined or processed. It may contain some fine pieces of olives. It is cold pressed (not heated over certain temperature). This helps maintain maximum nutrients in the final product. Color of the extra virgin olive oil can be greenish-golden to bright green. Deeper the color, more intense is the flavor. This oil is not used for cooking as heating may ruin its flavor and taste. You are supposed to store it in a cool dry place to prevent it from turning rancid. It comes with the lowest acidity, about 0.8%. Take a look at the following table which describes calories and nutrients in extra virgin olive oil.
Nutrients and Calories in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
One teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil contains about 40 calories.
3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon.
1 tablespoon (14.0 g) of extra virgin olive oil contains:
|Calories from fat||126|
|Calories from saturated fat||17.64|
|Total fat||14 g|
|Saturated fat||1.96 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||10.78 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat||1.26 g|
|Vitamin E alpha||1.74 mg|
|Vitamin E IU||2.59 IU|
|Vitamin E mg||1.74 mg|
|Omega 3 fatty acids||0.10 g|
|Omega 6 fatty acids||1.12 g|
|Poly fat, linolenic||0.10 g|
|Poly fat, linoleic||1.12 g|
|Mono fat, palmitol||0.17 g|
|Mono fat, oleic||10.57 g|
|Saturated fat, palmitic||1.54 g|
|Saturated fat, stearic||0.38 g|
Health Benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Regular consumption of olive oil with salads is considered to be responsible for the reduced rate of mortality in Medication region. Olive oil prevents premature aging. Moreover, it promotes healthy aging.
- Fat provided by olive oil is good fat (essential for maintaining good health) while fat provided by vegetable oils and butter is considered as bad fat as it affects the health of an individual.
- The extra virgin olive oil is very easy to digest and it helps prevent various types of digestive system problems. It improves your digestive health and in turn, the overall health.
- Since the oil is rich in vitamin E, it strengthens hair and nails. It prevents hair loss. You may enjoy shiny strong hair, if you start using olive oil regularly.
- Studies show that those who consume olive oil regularly have lesser chances of developing atherosclerosis, asthma, diabetes and colon cancer.
- People who regularly consume extra virgin olive oil with salads and soups, are less likely to suffer from coronary heart diseases.
- Extra virgin olive oil comes with an antioxidant called polyphenols which helps prevent several diseases of the heart.
- The oil helps lower the blood pressure. It promotes stable blood pressure levels.
- Those who consume this oil regularly are likely to enjoy supple and glowing skin.
Calories in extra virgin olive oil may appear high but you are supposed to consume the oil in small quantity. After knowing about the nutrients and health benefits of the oil, calories should not be a cause of concern.